Blackspot

Beverly Hills, MI

I just planted roses for the first time this spring. One of my plants is dropping leaves. Is this blackspot? Will it help it to recover if I remove the buds so it can put its energy toward growing leaves and roots. It is a miniature rose ( jilly jewel) and I am in zone 6 in michigan. It has been very hot and humid. Should I spray with a fungicide. If not blackspot does it look like a virus?

Thumbnail by NikkiMK
Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

That is for sure blackspot. First thing, pick off all the leaves that have blackspot on them. Toss them in the trash can, pick up any leaves about the base of the plant also. You may not have to use a fungicide, just keeping the leaves picked off might be all you need. If you have a severe problem with the blackspot then I would suggest using a fungicide to keep the foliage looking green and healthy. Might just need to spray the first year, the plant might have enough resistant next year to fight it off. I guess a lot has to do with the variety, I have some roses that occasionally get a few blackspot leaves and others that even with spraying are hard to keep clean.

Beverly Hills, MI

Thanks. It is pretty bad. Should I prune the buds out?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.