Have hydrangeas in zone 6a started blooming?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have an Endless Summer Hydrangea that doesn't even have a bud on it and I was wondering if it is particularly late. It blooms every year but I can't remember when it starts. I'm trying to start a journal for this kind of information so maybe this won't come up anymore! (Wink).

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Photos can be a huge help to let you know the FFO date (first flower open). It still may change from year to year due to weather but it's at least a guideline.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Never mind. I have seen lots of them in bloom here. I have no idea why mine don't even have a bud. Very odd.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

You have not seen any flower buds in the broccoli stage yet?

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Not a single one. Not a sign that anything has been eating them. I have no idea what is going on.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

My Endless Summer is blooming and I live just a few miles from you.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Do you fertilize a lot (once a year is fine), water a lot or prune the plants often? Mid-July would be the latest I would expect to see buds in the broccoli stage up North.

This message was edited Jun 30, 2013 3:58 PM

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I normally don't fertilize at all - just compost, but I had some time release osmacote left over from last year so I just threw some around the hydrangea. Do you think that would be the reason?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Sounds ok. If we over-fertilize, the excessive amount of nitrogen will keep the plant producing nice green leaves at the expense of blooms. But just one regular sized application of Osmocote would not cause a problem.

Is the plant in dense shade?

Have you pruned it this year and accidentally cut off the buds?

Have you had soil moisture problems (too much water? or too little moisture?)

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I don't think I pruned inappropriately. We have had a much wetter year than normal. It is not in dense shade. I didn't think wet would be a problem but maybe it is. The soil is very nice and loose. The plant looks very healthy and is growing nicely. Oh well, thanks for trying to help me figure this out. I am not a beginner by any means but I have not had this happen before. I will assume that it is still going to bloom - its just taking it's good, sweet time about it. Nature does that sometimes.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

There is always the 'ye God' possibility.... what if it is not an ES Hydrangea but one that blooms only on old wood! Oh lord. That has never happened to me. (I lie!). :o)

Wait until mid July to see if still blooms. See the info below from the ES Website:

Northern Climate Winter Care
To ensure overwintering success in the first year, the following is recommended:

Stop all applications of fertilizer after August 15th to acclimate the plant for winter.
Keep the soil moist through the fall months until the ground is frozen.
Cover the plant with a four-inch layer of organic mulch (wood mulch, leaves, etc.). There is no need to cover all stems to the tip or to cut them back.
Covering should be done when fully dormant (around November 30th), or at the same time you would cover perennials in your garden.
In spring, uncover with your perennials when the ground is no longer frozen. The plant will grow from the base of the plant and also from any old branches that survived winter.
Be patient. Growth will come slowly until the heat of late spring stimulates the plant to grow faster.
Once you see growth you can prune back the old branches to a finger width above the new green growth.
Sit back and watch your plant grow and bloom. Depending on your climate, this should happen around mid-July.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I would have considered that possibility but this plant is 4 years old and has bloomed for the last three years. I just don't remember when. Maybe it is simply a late blooming individual. I will be writing down the specific bloom time if it blooms this year. Thank you so much for taking the time to try to figure this out and especially to type all of that! That post is a great source of information and I I tend to prin t it out and keep it in my garden journal.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

One more note. I notice that there are earwigs in every terminal area where the buds form. Could they be eating the buds?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

I have only heard of them eating the leaves. You can dunk them in soapy water or spray insecticidal soap.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.