Does anyone know this Iris?

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Dug up at an old home site in the fall of 2011, it bloomed this year in part shade and a bit earlier than the other Iris's in my garden. I was taken with the proportionally long falls, comparatively speaking.
Thanks!
Alana

Thumbnail by poisondartfrog Thumbnail by poisondartfrog
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Alana, it's impossible to ID irises unless you have a list, and purchase another one of what you think it is next to it. And we don't want to guess and have it be wrong, as that is how so many irises are mixed up in commerce.

I can tell you it's an older one. It has what's called papery spathes. I would 'guess' it's in the pallida group, but there are so many of those that they named it could be anyone of them.

Does it have a grape koolade scent?

It sure is a beauty.

Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

Thank you. I was not looking for a specific cultivar identification. An ID based on a photo would be suspect and there are too many similar ones to even attempt it.
You have helped by indicating that it could be in the pallida group, which is more the kind of information I was looking for. Unfortunately it bloomed a couple of months ago, so I will have to wait until next year to give it the smell test.
Thanks again.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You're welcome. I bet you will find out it smells lovely. The can be almost overpowering cut in the house.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Good to see you post, Polly. My garden is looking beautiful, thanks to your generous nature. Anytus is just spectacular this year. Plans are in the works to ship my Japanese Irises to WKBG in August, so we need to get together on what you'd like before I ship.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.