Saving your Seed pods

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

I have tried many ways to save my seed pods from falling or breaking open from ripening & losing my seeds, I use nylons cut in about a 4" square & putting a wire tie at the bottom of the pod. I know there are other ways if anyone wants to share some information on this. But always remember when you pollenate your daylilies to put your tag right next to the scape & not on the flower, I did that & found several of my tags on the ground so I wised up. Just go down past the flower & put on your tag on the stem.

Anyone got any ides that might better or does anyone know of anyone that makes small little sacks that will work, Do NOT use plastic !! It draws moisture.& your pods might rot.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I pick mine before they crack open. I give them a test pinch when they start to turn yellow or brown. If they feel like they will pop when I pinch them, then I pick them. I have lost very little seed that way. If I let them ripen to the point when they crack open, I always loose some seed.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I know this is a stupid question but your comments caught my eye. Are you saying there is a seed inside the flower pod that you gather before the flower opens? Is there a tuitorial on this somewhere?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

No, seeds form after the flower is done blooming. The flower is either pollinated by insects or you can pollinate it yourself. Seed pods will then form depending on the fertility of both flowers involved. Some times the pods will abort.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I did find a video via YouTube that explained it . The lady doing the video was basically cleaning up her daylily bed, removing the seed pod and cutting the stalk that the daylily had seed pods on it. I will have to check my daylilies tomorrow to see if there are any seed pods. I looked for some the other day and it looks like either they had already exploded or the Deer got to them during the night and had a midnight snack from them. Now I'm curious..

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I used multiple colors of paper clips, large for tets, small for dips, to mark my crosses. You sure can form a lot of different combinations with all the colors on the market now.

Warners, NY

I finally bought a bunch of sales tags today since I have already run about the yard and dabbed pollen all over the place and have pods that I can't identify---I always think, well I will remember that one but all of a sudden there are too many and I can't remember if I put Orchid Corsage pollen or Wild Horses pollen on the Ed Murray seedlings (all seven of them) and I give up. I try to harvest the seeds just as the pods open but the seedlings coming up around my paths show I miss a lot of them. Even more troubling is when I find a nice seedling and I haven't a clue which one is the parent----and sometimes it's a bee pod.-----------------------------------------Weedy

Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Weedy..I use the long plastic strips that the growers put on the roots when you buy a daylily & cut them into 6 strips, I buy a whole roll & put the wires on the tags that they sell & use them on my tags to mark my crosses. I use a permenant marker pen to mark my crosses.

Warners, NY

Well, the Lemon Lily crossed with minor is getting close to ripening so we shall see how well I catch 'em all. And what they look like and how I'll germinate them. Since they are species or close to I may just pop them in the ground in November and let them freeze.I wish Tet seeds were as easy-----------------------------Weedy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.