To Prune Now or Wait

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I have a Romantika that has become terribly leggy. This spring it did not bloom nearly as much as it has in the past, and the blooms were much smaller than they have been previously. I have never pruned it hard, rather I've pretty much limited my pruning to removing the dead stuff. I didn't prune it much this spring because I mistakenly thought it was a group 2. I was planning to prune it after it bloomed when I realized it was a group 3. Should I prune it now or wait until next spring? (What appears to be new growth at the bottom is actually an Alba Luxurians I planted this spring.)

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Your trellis is superb. I would cut it back hard right now and then again in February.

Alba is the same pruning group, which makes pruning so much easier for you.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Pirl. I was counting on you to advise me. Based on your previous advice when I was planning where I would plant the 21 clematis I bought from Brushwood last fall, I made sure I put the same pruning groups together.

I love these trellises, too. Bought them from Lowes 4 or 5 years ago. Wish I'd bought more. Needless to say, never found them again. They're my favorite.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Twenty one clematises! You had the fever! Keeping the pruning groups together really does make it simple.

That's always the way. Once we find something we love we have to buy extra immediately to be sure we have them when we want them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.