Celtis sinensis 'green cascade'

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I've attempted to train this guy to grow taller by staking the leader but having second thoughts. Anyone have experience with this one? It's a high graft at about 3' and has the most rigid branches ever. Should I just let it be a mop?

Thumbnail by dybbuk
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I've failed trying to train 2 of them over the past 15yrs.
I've seen a really fascinating 15ft tall weeping specimen which got me interested in the first place.
I think it requires rather consistent 'training' which is more effort than I usually can muster.
Also you have to watch out for undergrowth outcompeting the weeping graft.
My first one evolved into a standard upright celtis sinensis because of that very issue.
My 2nd attempt is still a 10" tall plant with active growth growing into the ground.
I haven't given up on it yet, but I'm not terribly optimistic.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Don't give up. Take heart in the results of efforts by Tony Avent, proprietor of Plant Delights Nursery in Raleigh, NC.

These images are from December 2012. Looks like it is worth a bit of trouble, in time...

Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley Thumbnail by ViburnumValley
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok. I'll keep trying. Love that creepy look VV. Here's the one I left behind in Chicago. From a root cutting which I prefer. First photo from one location. Second after I dug it out and moved.

Thumbnail by dybbuk Thumbnail by dybbuk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.