My daughters Hawaiian Quilt

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8a)

My daughter came to the decision that she would like to have a Hawaiian Quilt in the Memory of her father that died in the islands. He was only 23 when he was killed so she didn't have a chance to get to really know him and feels cheated in that memory. I told her I would make her one. I contacted the Hawaiian Quilting guild in Honolulu and explained what I was looking for and the reason behind it all. A Carol Kamalie contacted me. She is the president of the Hawaiian Quilting guild and offered me her family pattern after I had seen a picture of it and expressed my love of the pattern and my daughters feelings as well. She drew it up and sent it to me with the express condition that I do not pass it on as it belongs in her family heritage. I feel so very honored to be given the opportunity of using the pattern. I will show you hers as well as what I have came up with as well.
The first one is her quilt that was made by the lady stand directly beside it. Carol is the lady in the black and white dress.
The second it the fabric and my choice of use of her design. I am not doing the outer border but going to do a 2" border of the same fabric of the pattern. I am pinning and basting the pattern to the background.
The third is the pattern totally basted and now to begin the needle turn applique. A long process since it is queen size and all hand done. It will then be echo quilted when I finish the applique. Phoebe and Baxter gave it their sniff of approval.
This is what I mean about echo quilting.

Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader Thumbnail by Gourdbeader
This thread has 106 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!