Iris ID?

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

I received this iris in trade last year, but the tag said "amaryllis" for which I can find nothing. So, I'm thinking it was mid-labelled. Do any of the iris gurus out there have any idea what variety it might be? It's got a very yellow center with purple streaking coming from the center, but the outer portion of the petals are a soft apricot/peach. It's also enormous, and sort of 'flattened'. The photo doesn't really show how large the bloom is.

Thumbnail by JenDion Thumbnail by JenDion
Cherryvale, KS

There is an iris by that name. I bought one from Suttons years ago, but it didn't survive. It is a flattie.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

Amaryllis (Goebel, 1989)....Arlyn

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Absolutely. I was so hoping that Frosty Moonscape would bloom for me this year but I must wait another year it seems. I love them they look like Japanese irises but bloom so much earlier.

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Thank you so much! Ok, so I guess it wasn't mis-labeled after all! It's a really near color/ combination. I'll get it planted so I can offer some for trade in the not too distant future.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL...I'm thinking you got that from me...did you smell it? It's yummy, and just curiousif you like it? Kathy

Litchfield, NH(Zone 5b)

Kathy,

Yes, it was from you, Thanks! I looked on DG and on google, and I didn't get any hits under Amaryllis Iris, so I thought maybe you had a brain cramp when you labelled it (it happens to the best of us!). I really do like it, though generally I'm not an iris fan, I am keeping it, along with the "Denver" blue iris which is a fantastic shade of periwinkle with nice ruffles on the edges and a HUGE flower to boot. Thanks!

Jennifer

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

If you'ld like to read the description: Longs Iris Gardens.com. Located in Boulder, Co. That's where both of them were obtained. Such fun walking thru their feilds and picking out Iris, it's one of those 'You Dig' type of buisinesses (but also Catalog for those who can't visit their feilds). Soo glad you like it!!! Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.