Heart of Winter Brugmansia 2013

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

This is where we have come from
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315813/

Its now the Heart of WINTER our Brugs are moving slowly and the cold is biting
we have just past the winter solstice and the days are becoming longer so not to long till be start to set seed in motion and feed the hell out of our babies.

it has been a slow couple of weeks and the weather will not change that at this time

BTW congrats to all those new Australia CV in the Hearld and it could look like there will be more in the following few im sure
we should stack them up and swamp 1 whole issue of Australian new CV to show the world that we are here and we will not slow down on the breeding and growing of some or if not the beat Plants in the world

This is a bloom of B.'Mathildenwalzer' supplied by Alistair him self Thank you

Thumbnail by SolMan
Clifton Springs, Australia

You might be right Shaun...that's what we should aim for next autumn.....
It's very cold tonight and there's a Super moon at 9.30..
Dianne.

Too many clouds to see it here ...I hope it does not bring the usual Lunacy and floods, lots of babies born and made at such times.

'Mathildenwalzer' is a lovely thing.

chrissy

Very disappointing Super moon.....much rather a Harvest moon in Feb....it was bright and it looked close, but it wasn't BIG.
There will be lots of frost in the morning....
Dianne.

Dianne please don't talk about that I don't need to know that as I have frost for the last week and the plants over @ pams have taken a hiding
The plants here not so bad as I can get out there at 6-7 am to mist the frost away
The moon looks great but showed no potential when in focus of the camera

Chrissy yes Mathildenwalzer is a ver nice white double some times triple which I have not had at this point as I have hacked them trying to pollinate them hahahahah

Hi Shaun,i love the double you posted.I am sorry to here that your winter is keeping you inside.I know the feeling,in our winter here i stay in the house alot,because i hate the cold.Good luck with your brugs and hope they are very protected by the cold.Take Care!!!
Cody

Merino, Australia

Well. I must say that down here, my brugs havent seemed to realise that it is winter yet.
I am sure that will change as we get more and more cold days and maybe frosts.
At the moment although there is a slight yellowing of a few leaves , they all look really great.
Lots of buds still coming and GHA is out in all his glory. The perfume is so lovely .

I can see lots of pods but they may fall if we get frosts later. Hopefully the ones I did myself will stay on.

My seedlings are still looking really nice and green but have slowed in growth in the cold.
The buds on the coldies are always slow so it will still be a few weeks until I see more flowers.

I have a new flush coming on ButterBomb, DP'n'G , Mango Cornet . my new seedling and of course, all my GHA plants.

pic is Tantra a few days ago. Just opening a few more flowers and you can see yet another bud.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

The weather is awful right now ...I don't need to tell you that.
Hopefully our Brugs (and us) will come out of Winter ok.

That is a lovely picture Jean, I had no idea Tantra had a creamy bloom when it opens, I always thought it was pure white.
Can't wait to see mine bloom.

Good luck with that pollinating Shaun, what crosses did you do with it ?

Oh well, here is Monday again (too quick).

Stay dry and warm ...been raining all night, bad wind on and off. Worse to come this arvo (where I am).

Good luck everyone ! try to enjoy your day ...
ه┊ ☂ ه☂┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊☂┊ ┊ ه☂┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه☂┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊☂┊ ┊ ه

chrissy

Chrissy I am crossing Mathildenwalzer x.pepita when I get more blooms it will be crosses with such as clementine, earth angel x.pink Smitty, fernando but all only when I have pollen and blooms to work with

The weather is a mush bowl today it's 12 noon and we are still thick with fog in Croydon & Chirnside park where both my gardens are. The plants over there are bitten hard the temps have got to -5oC 3 days in a row so you could imagine what those poor Brugs look like it could thin the lot out where I could not hahah

Don't worry ...even if they freeze down to the ground ...they will come back, the only thing is, when that happens it can stop the flowering for a few extra months until they can catch up to where they were before the freeze frizzle.

The most important thing in Winter is not to over water Brug babies (the really young ones), they hate wet roots in the cold (the warm group).
Wait until they droop a little, then just enough to keep them alive. I am talking about the ones under shelter. those outside will have to fend for themselves.

chrissy

Shaun there are some windows popping up for you ...better pop in and put something in there ^_^

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/gallery/category/1043-mathildenwalzer/

chrissy

Sumterville, FL

Does anyone have any of these gorgeous trumphets foe sale, seeds or plants? thank you shebabe

Sorry shebabe, this is Australia and customs won't allow.

Most of our beauties are seed grown, apart from a couple of ancient ones that were bought in before regulations.
sorry about that.

Gosh it's very wet and cold, can't go out at all, better go and do some domestic things, at least the rain keeps the frost away, but those soggy Brug roots can be a worry in the cold.

Stay warm and dry everyone ! ^_^

chrissy

This message was edited Jun 25, 2013 10:33 AM

Korumburra, Australia

In 2009 I was contemplating retirement and intending to attempt some hybridising of brugmansias. I had always had knightii in any home I had owned and I had been collecting them for more than a decade. I was apprehensive in terms of sight and unsteady hands but decided to start by cross pollinating any that blossomed, just to see if it would be effective.

I had Aurea for some time and in this climate it flowers all year. The first to flower was Frosted Pink, and I did about ten pollinations.

A few weeks later I noticed pods forming under the labels on the twigs.

Eventually there were three pods when they became dry.

I grew out all the seeds that germinated, about 50.

The parent plants are in pics 1 & 2,

The first to flower is in pic 3. About 6 months after being potted on from the seed pad.

About half flowered in that autumn and the others flowered in the next spring when planted in the paddock. There was no variation except that some plants were more vigorous than others. They all had the same parents but not out of the same pod.

I selected the most vigorous and named it S1.

In 2009 I was contemplating retirement and intending to attempt some hybridising of brugmansias. I had always had knightii in any home I had owned and I had been collecting them for more than a decade. I was apprehensive in terms of sight and unsteady hands but decided to start by cross pollinating any that blossomed, just to see if it would be effective.

I had Aurea for some time and in this climate it flowers all year. The first to flower was Frosted Pink, and I did about ten pollinations.

The first to flower is in pic 3. About 6 months after being potted on from the seed pad.

About half flowered in that autumn and the others flowered in the next spring when planted in the paddock. There was no variation except that some plants were more vigorous than others. They all had the same parents but not out of the same pod.

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Korumburra, Australia

Here is the rest except that I cant upload the pics, what am I doing wrong

M

Korumburra, Australia

I did it.

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice

Don't use the PREVIEW bottom

Just SEND

It could be that if not a subscriber you may be limited to two photos. I don't know for sure.

The other thing may be pictures that are too large, very nice pictures by the way.

Try this.

Insert the picture and wait for it to appear ...the next box will pop up with a + ,then then you browse again, and repeat.
We get 5 frames. You only need to write your post once.

Let's see how you go with that. ^_^

chrissy

Ha ha ha we crossed posts ...good to see you worked it out YAY !!!!!

chrissy

Nice to see you Maurice,
Those plants are very attractive, what is the aurea you have there is that the one from YAMINA ?
Hope all is well and thing don't get to cold over the next 2 months
Shaun

Korumburra, Australia

Further excuses. As it was going to be longer script than usual, I typed into word first and checked it out for spelling etc. Then copied it into the Your message box. But the chose a picture button did not appear, and I probably clicked into the box another time.

Will try and send some more tonight. As I type this there is not picture button showing. What do I do if I did want to send a picture

M

This site has been re arranging the furniture ...horrible ! I don't like it !
It's all shrunk down, I suspect it is to accommodate Mobile phones and tablets.

Not happy ! Daves Garden.

chrissy

Mine is all screwed up...half missing pages.....and so on...
We'll just have to see, what they have in mind...
Dianne

Dianne go in and clear your history ...go back a day.

That fixed the missing pages but the search bar is missing.
Everything has been shrunk to accommodate mobiles etc.
At least you got in ^_^
The old in the History is clashing with the new stuff.

chrissy

Chrissy I have had issues with DG for the last 3-4 days
I can see what you mean by the search engin being misplaced and everything being srinked to accommodate for the smart phone and pads which I have both and the home base PC

I will see what happens in the next few days about what DG are planing

One of the things I really enjoy is the search bar and that too is gone.

No warning ...not happy.

chrissy

Chrissy I took out a weeks history, but I am still getting partial pages and I have to scroll way down to get those....
Most of the page is a Telstra ad and blank space...
Mine haven't shrunk they are all on one side...I wonder why they did it without warning.....
Dianne

Oh gosh Dianne sorry to hear that ...they said to try different browsers ...I use Firefox ...what are you using ?

chrissy

I use Google Chrome when n my PK
I always turn of the put when things go wrong but I'm sure that you turn yours off all the time
You should also do a full clean up including Defrag and virus check at. Least once a month
To keep the puter running to its. Best

I have full Norton security ...all done automatic, and I do an optimize thingy almost every day.
Windows 7 does not store much on the puter, most of the stuff is online storage.
I read that Google Chrome is a virus magnet, so I use Fire Fox.
Before I had Nortons on this new Puter I always did all that stuff.

chrissy

Edited to say yes I do reboot about once a week.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2013 8:41 PM

Friday ...so glad ^_^

What a week !, so glad it has come to an end.
Have a lovely weekend everyone !

chrissy

These lovely days have made Fernando flower again...
Very pale of course, but the perfume is still there....It's a funny thing, but I'll keep it.
My Clementine x ? pod has ripened, only small but the seeds look ok...

We have really been lucky this week, the weather has been sunny every afternoon......and I've had a chance to thin out some Brug branches and I can see what needs a big trim in spring....
Looking at the DG and the BGI topics, it gives you the urge again when you see the new flowers coming on.
Have a nice weekend everyone..
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger

Envious of your weather ...pouring rain again,

Yet more on the way over the next days,

Fernando is wearing his Winter pale I see. At least he is blooming for you.

Hopefully I can get out there (garden) sometime today, wet wet wet.
ه┊ ☂ ه☂┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊☂┊ ┊ ه☂┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊ ☂ ه☂┊┊☂┊ ┊ ه┊☂┊ ┊ ه

chrissy

Hi there the weather is misty and foggy
Plants did not cope to well in the last week around the
Full moon and winter sulstice we had frosts for
Almost a week and the temps down to -5oc but
During some of the days there has been glimmers
Of beautiful 14-17 oC days sun out and the plants
Taking up the rays

Dianne Fanando l
Is looking good even in his winter woollies
I can't wait till he blooms here

Good luck it's the weekend and I'm still working
Ggggggrrrrrr

Looks like DG is cutting up the right
Side if the thread so be careful about
How far across you write/type

This message was edited Jun 29, 2013 11:25 AM

Chrissy, is your ground soggy after all the rain that you've had?
It seems that it's been raining up your way for such a long time...
Dianne.

Yes it is pretty wet ...garage is flooded.
Because we are on heavy clay the grounds bog and turn into red mud, at least the winds are not so bad now ...they reckon it may ease up Tuesday ish !

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/nsw/sydney/badgerys-creek

chrissy

The rain has stopped ...for the moment anyway.

On with the Gum Boots ^_^ before it starts again.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪.

Happy Sunday everyone ...last day of the first Winter month !

chrissy

Merino, Australia

Not much going on here. No rain, but the fog has been around every morning so that stops any frost damage. Also waters the plants as its a quite wet fog. More of a mist really.
The sun has been coming out around lunchtime so buds & pods are hanging on and growing. Flowers are slower to open in the cold but GHA is in full bloom.

There are a few ants walking around on the brug flowers plus the bees still active.

I will remove the noid pods later once I see where they all are.

Yellowing of a few leaves with the cold now but still lush looking.
Maybe they will hang on for Spring.
Thats only 8 weeks away, officially, but it will be cold here well into October.

Jean.

Well today ...despite being a Monday, is a beautiful day ...that yellow disc up in the sky has been a stranger for the last week, they reckon it has only been present officially for only one hour a day for 7 days.

The grounds are saturated.

The Brugs are looking ok except for the muncher damage (they have been having a lot of fun).
A bit of die back in some of the outer twigs, don't know if it is damage from that one frosty morning a couple of weeks back or too much water.

I was trimming a few bits back when I got a shock, ...as the cut piece of twig fell off, a horrible little white grub came out of the cut. I have never seen this before and haven't a clue what it is ...maybe some sort of borer ?
Anyone have an experience like this ? or know what it is?

I wasn't thrilled to say the least.

I hope everyone enjoys their arvo ...a pinch and a punch for the 1st of the month ^_^

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯
⋰ ⋮ ⋱
✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬

chrissy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.