Summer flowers begin

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Spring flowers are gone and summer's are arriving daily.
Pinks started this week and bee balm, black eyed susans and orange butterfly weed are blooming. in west central Arkansas.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice. We are just a little behind you here in zone 7a. I'm still waiting for my bee balm to bloom.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

More summer pics.

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are a few natives blooming this summer in my garden.

Pic 1 Asclepias tuberosa

Pic 2 Asclepias incarnata

Pic 3 Mallow hybrid my bees made

Pic 4 Echinacea pallidia

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

The color of summer is lovely. I need to get an orange butterfly weed for my backyard flower garden..

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'd offer to send you some but I've heard they don't transplant well due to the taproots. Seeds? I could probably find some of those. ;)

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Transplanting is really difficult especially with it getting hot and dry. AmandaEsq if you get some seeds , please let me know.
I planted lots of butterfly bushes this week since they were on clearance for a dollar at a local nursery. Hopefully some will survive and become established.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I have been giving away MW seed to friends on FB and collecting them from anyone who will send them. I am sure I have the seeds. I'll send you dmail.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I just spotted Matelea gonocarpos in bloom and heading up a tree in the woods behind us. It must have come from the plant I planted toward the back fenceline about three years ago. I had thought that plant was dead due to being whacked down by a weedeater on several occasions, but it's back just fine this year. I'm happy to see it spreading back there.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I love when plants reappear.

Tell me about this milkvine. I'm not very familiar with it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't want to hog short's thread. (yuk, yuk). I wanted to take a picture yesterday but it rained a good part of the day. We got a little over 2 inches. No sunshine right now either so I'm waiting. Not that the subject is close - I'll have to see see how it turns out.

More thunder. More dark clouds.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Same here. Looks like another long day, maybe week of rain.

Are we complaining? Noooo. We are blessed with rain.

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

This thread is to share and learn about our summer flowers. Since I'm a newbey, I'm pleasantly surprised at the participation. Looking forward to more summer beauty.
We had rain early but starting to need it again.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good to hear that, shorthog. I love to chat about flowers but didn't want to hijack your thread.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are a few summer blooms

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice ... luv the Monarda and Liatris. Well, I luv everything really. :)

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

taylordaylily,
When I lived a few miles away in Liberty township Ohio, I didn't realize that such a lovely summer botanical garden was so close...do you charge to visit your garden. Just kidding.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy Fourth of July.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Taylor, that's my kind of garden! I love the fullness and colors. Thanks for sharing.

My stuff is getting beat down by the rains. Have some pics on other threads which I think you've seen. :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Shorthog, Thank You! I have a flower addiction! I love native plants and love to garden for wildlife.

Amanda, Thank You!
Your stuff will bounce back after the rains leave them alone.
Wait till you see my cut-leaf coneflower and cup plant bloom. They put on a great show.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Here's the Matelea gonocarpos growing and blooming in the back woods. You can see it heading up the dead vine. I was astonished to see it back there and know it must have come from the plant Neener sent me a few years ago. I thought that plant was a goner after being whacked by a weedwacker, but it is not. It's blooming on the fence and also has moved to the backwoods. Makes me very happy.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.