WARNING: Do NOT grow Euphorbia next to ponds!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

An awful horror story from another forum:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20328

Resin

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Holy cow! I had no idea! Thanks for sharing...what a horrible loss.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much Resin.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

that forum also mentioned that euphorbia is toxic to livestock, I suppose that could mean, being cautious, any animal that might eat it. Pets, neighbors goats or horses ect. I believe lantana and larkspur are also toxic to livestock and readily reseed under the right conditions.

Athens, PA

I think there are a number of things that are toxic to both aquatic and animal life. I remember reading an article where Laburnum killed a pond full of fish.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

There is a pastsure not far from us that is full of lantana and cows. We dig it out of our pasture cause its not supposed to be good for them. I do have it in my garden out front but it is a hybrid and doesn't seem to spread as I've had it for a long time. The butterflies love it. But not the birds.
I do know from experience water celery and elephant ear don't kill fish. My koi ate all the water celery I put in their pond the first day. They don't eat the umbrella plant but it gets so tall I'm always in pond clipping it off to start again.
Happy ponding all.
Bonnie

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Uh oh - but I don't have fish. Wonder about the frogs

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Forgot the photo

Thumbnail by missingrosie
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I'm not keen on Euphorbias anyway, because of their toxic sap.

Nor Oleanders or Castor plants, due to their danger.

I would like to have a small pond, someday, too.

Thanks for the warning!

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Oh my. I planted some Euphorbias in my garden far away from my pond though. Hope that is okay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.