using Physan 20

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

With all the rain we've been getting I figure I'm going to have to do a little stronger preventative maintenance besides cinnamon sprinkled on the top of the potting medium.
I've picked up the Physan 20 to help prevent fungus etc. Any tips...I'm planning on just using the 2 tsp. per gallon mix and spraying the orchids. I'm a little nervous as I generally try to use very little chemicals.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Physan 20 is a good product but you must understand that fungicides do not kill fungus; they prevent new growth from getting it. Therefore, spraying it as a preventative is good practice. Also know that fungus, like insects, can adapt to a particular fungicide. Therefore, it is best to rotate them. Other fungicides you might want to consider as part of your routine are, Dithane M-45, Beleton and Captan.

Jim

Jim,
Thanks ! That does help.
mj

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

mj, We don't have your rain and humidity here, but I do occasionally add it to my watering as a preventive. I also use it when repotting for soaking roots, pots, mix, and tools. I also use it to clean my fountain/birdbath. It's not as cheap as bleach, but a little goes a long way, and works really well.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the advice everyone; I just started using Physan 20 but I've also been rotating it out with two other fungicides. So far, so good!

Melanie

Carol, that's what I was thinking I would use it to stop problems before they start. 99% of my Orchids are outside, and I'm generally don't even bother misting the ones in pots when we're going thru one of our really rainy streaks. All are in pretty fast draining media also. Quite a few are mounted. But this year has been a bit more rainy earlier in the year and late in the day or raining over night so I got to thinking that maybe I should take some extra precautions.
All the info helps...I'm just a nervous nelly about using chemicals as I also raise alot of plants for the Hummingbirds and Butterflies, and I've seen them both investigate Orchids and my Hoya's ( which I have alot more of than Orchids )

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

MJ, I raise butterflies but luckily my orchids are all enclosed in the shade house so they're separated from all other plants. They're about the only thing I use chemicals on so I understand where you're coming from. I had to do something though, or black rot was going to take my whole collection. : (

Melanie

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I use Physan once or twice a year as a disinfectant in the greenhut and occasionally on plants but use Daconil concentrate, mixed as directed, as a fungicidal control spray when needed. Do not use the Daconil ready mix available at the box stores. It is thick and weird to apply. Physan is amonia based and should not be used more than once a month.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for that input, Laurel! That explains why I almost killed my water lilies this year. I need to search for the Daconil. I have a couple of fungicides on hand, but they are copper based, and ancient, with few directions for use.

Thanks Laurel,
So far everything seems to be in pretty good shape, as we are not getting all the rain as other parts of the state now.
I'll pick up so Daconil tho to have on hand.
mj

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.