Red wigglers not very red

Margate City, NJ

OK, this may sound strange, but my red wigglers look too pale all of a sudden. I've had a Worm Factory for about 6 months and all is going well except for this. And I'm not getting very much liquid castings/tea. Any thoughts? Something lacking in their diet maybe?

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Try dumping some water in the bin. It won't hurt the worms and might help cool them if the temps are really hot.
You can use the resulting leachate around some of your plants.

Helena, MT

Nancy, my culture of red wigglers came from a leaf compost pile some 50+ years ago. They were about two inches long at the largest and deep red in color. My media for th indoor bins has been peat moss, and like your worms they began to turn a pale red color after a period of time and the adults were two or more times larger. I also have out door composting bins with various types of media, and they too have similar color and size.

I add some of the red wigglers to holes dug in the garden for tomatoes, peppers, squash, cucumbers and pumpkins. These holes are back filled with a blend of composted materials. The red wigglers act much the same as any native earthworm, but do not leave the holes. Some even survive our harsh winters and the next season I find some still in the area where i dug the holes the previous spring. The red wigglers in these holes have reverted bach to the smaller size and deeper red color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.