Blooming June 19th .....

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Second bloom on Seedling cross ( Praying For MiraclesXKansas city Kicker)

Seedling cross

Prairie Moonlight

Little Grapette

Persian Ruby

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

This is one from today and one that I forgot to post yesterday ..

Mort Morss

Spider Miracle

Thumbnail by IRIS Thumbnail by IRIS
Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

That Persian Ruby is certainly a standout!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Seedfork! Love PR, It always gets better as the week's go on, And it's loaded with buds this year!

Beaverton, MI

Again beautiful.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Whimsical

NOID Red with Eye

Byzantine Emperor

NOID Purple with Eye

This message was edited Jun 24, 2013 12:42 PM

Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy Thumbnail by kjuddy
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

kjuddy, your last pic of Big Kiss is not the right flower. Here is Big Kiss, it is a consistant double.

Thumbnail by hemlady
Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Here are a few from my garden today.
Pic#1 is Wild Wookie It is new this year from Florida Holds it's color really good in full sun all day!
Pic#2 is Fragrant Returns boring yellow but blooms it's heart out
Pic#3 is Siloam Plum Tree It also holds it's color very good in full sun.
Pic#4 is Moonlit Masquerade

Have a great day!

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love that Mert Morss! Like that Wild Wookie too! Might need to look at adding that one if it holds its color because my DLs are in full sun ALL day. I have just a few that get a couple of hours of shade late in the evening, but most never get that opportunity until the sun goes down.

I love my Persian Ruby! It is new this year but had been on my want list for a while - wish I had gotten it years ago because it is gorgeous! My only regret is that it is on the FAR end of my house and I have to go that way to enjoy it. Once it multiplies, I might have to move it to one of the places I walk by several times a day so I can enjoy it even more!!

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

taylordaylily,
I think pic two and three are reversed!

This message was edited Jun 20, 2013 10:49 AM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I like long blooming plants. They don't have to be fancy. It's better than looking at foliage. Nice blooms everyone.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris, Great pic's I have Prairie Moonlight and Little Grapette and Spider Miracle. I love Prairie Moonlight I wish it rebloomed.

Seedfork,They did reverse. Not sure why Siloam Plum Tree's pic didn't show up all the way.
Hemlady, My Big Kiss looks like yours. I love it!

Gen2026, I will try to get a picture of Wild Wookie after dinner tonight to show you how it looks after all day full sun. The garden it is in has full sun from morning till the sun goes down. All of my reds hold up well in full sun. I have 3 purple's that hold up well in full sun. Siloam Plum Tree and Dream Blue and Smith Brothers. I'm not very fond of Smith Brothers it tends to have low bud counts.

Mike, I agree Mike! I grow Salvia and catmint with my dl's for that reason. They bloom from spring till frost puts them to bed for winter.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Kimbar, thanks!

kjuddy, I enjoyed the photos, I have Byzantine Emperor too, Thats a nice picture of it.

gen2026, Most of mine are in the hot sun all day too, Many do good, Others, Not so good, So if I don't get a picture of what I want early, I have to wait for the next bloom. Mort Morss usually always does the same for me, Half the blooms are good/ half end up blotched, But, It does hold it's color pretty well. ~ I love Persian Ruby too! And I agree with you, It IS gorgeous, Definately stands out! And I also agree, You should move some to the spot you travel the most. :)

taylordaylily, thanks! I like the light coloring of Prarie moonlight ~ I really like that wild wookie!

hemlady, Great pic of Big Kiss!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Iris!!!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Pic#1 Is Siloam Plum Tree at 8pm full sun all day
Pic#2 is Wild Wookie at 8pm full sun all day
Pic#3 is Prairie Wildfire at 8pm full sun all day has some fading
Pic#4 is Watchyl Dipsy Doodle I love this one!

Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily Thumbnail by taylordaylily
Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Those look really nice!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Gen2026, Thank You!

Hemlady, Love your pic of Big Kiss. It is on of my favorite doubles!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks taylordaylily!!!

Really like the Watchyl spider daylily. I have not heard of that one.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I bought it at Oakes Summer Festival sale several years ago. It puts on a nice show and reblooms for me. On the AHS website it says it has 3 1/2" bloom but mine is more like 8" and they list it at 20" tall and mine is more like 26" tall. Oakes list it at 25" tall and 7" bloom. I like it and have saved some pollen from it. I want to cross it with Lilting Lavender that blooms later in the year.

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Beautiful blooms everyone!

I missed taking pictures yesterday as I got up late for work, then came home very late and I had 2 new ones that bloomed.

I missed a picture them, but the were ISIS UNVEILED and SPACECOAST RASPBERRY MIST.

Oh well, I'm sure I'll get another bloom or two! BUT, I do have a bunch that bloomed on June 20.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Nice pics everyone. I try to get out before the sun comes up. Some of the flowers are not always fully open then. Good thing I start working later in the morning. I sometimes rush to come home if need be to catch them then. I feel for those of you that have to start working between five and nine.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

taylordaylily, Really like Siloam Plum Tree, Wild Wookie, And Watchyl Dipsy Doodle!

HazelCrestMikeB, I agree about the 5-9! It's hard to get a decent picture when the sun is allready on them.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Iris, Thank You! Wild Wookie is new this year. Siloam Plum tree is my favorite Siloam that I own. It holds it's color in full sun all day.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Out before the sun comes up, Mike..... no wonder your yard always looks so gorgeous! i am NOT a morning person. I did start out in my flower beds at 6:30 weekend before last and that has GOT to be a record for me!! ^_^

I have to be at work by 7:30 so often my DLs aren't open good by the time I leave - by lunch when I come home they are looking good but it is usually 90+ degrees in blaring sun so it is difficult to get good photos. The DLs don't seem to mind the heat like I do though! :)

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Genna, you should use the umbrella trick to take your pictures that Hemlady and company uses.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have never used an umbrella Mike. I prefer to take my pictures on a cloudy day unless we don't have one for awhile. I never enhance my pics either. What you see is what you get. You will see quite a difference in shade and sun pics. Shade pics will always give you more color saturation.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Well, I have never used an umbrella, but I do often stand in front of the sun to block it off the flower I am taking a picture of. I am certainly not above using an umbrella, I am just to lazy I guess. We work so hard to make the flowers look good, watering , fertilizing, trimming and pruning, so why not do the same with the photos. We adjust for f stops, and shutter speed, white balance, saturation, and with modern cameras the list goes on and on at the adjustments you can make. So picking off a bad leaf here and there, or using an umbrella just seems natural to me.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I will often do that too, stand in the shade to block the sun and I would certainly pick off a bad leaf too for sure. As a seller of daylilies though, I certainly would not want to misrepresent what they really look like to a prospective customer. I know I have been disappointed myself buying daylilies that don't bloom anything close to some of the pictures I have seen of them. I will usually take two pictures of the plant, one in the sun and one in the shade. That gives the customer a good look of what they can expect from the plant.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

taylordaylily, Always nice yo have a new one thats blooms so nice like your wild wookie! ~ and have the love the cultivars that can hold there color in full strong sun all day!!
Very hard to get a photo when it's full blazing sun, I wouldn't even try, And careful to those who use unbrella's, If you use colored ones, they will leave a color cast on the plants in the photo.

Seedfork, I totally agree with trying to get the best image after working so hard to take care of them, I try to do this as much as I can, But, Usually I'm quite busy and don't get to take the photo that I would really like to most times.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

hemlady, We posted at the same time lol. I like to take the best photo I can ( When I have time) and I do use different lenses and f-stops ect, Even different cameras a lot of times, But, I never try to make a daylily look other then it should, I have seen many photos where people/sellers way overdo the saturation and contrast ect to try and make the plant stand out and it's Very dissapointing to people who think there daylily is going to look like the photo .

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Yes, I agree, the purpose of all the tools and tricks is not to present the unrealistic perfect flower, but to capture the closest thing possible to what the flower actually looks like. Sometimes I have to trick the camera into seeing what I actually see. Sometimes it is just impossible to take a true picture of certain blooms, I don't know why but sometimes I just can't capture the true essence of the bloom. I am often unaware of how different the photo and the actual plant look until I see in on the computer screen, my eyes just can't see that well on the little view screen on my camera!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have an older Nikon Cool Pix and it doesn't do reds too well. Oh I agree with you both on getting the best pictures. I may take l0 of one flower and pick out the best.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Nikon Coolpix 5700 here. This darned camera has the most complex menu options, not user friendly, but now after owning the thing for all these years I have just about learned how to operate it.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

LOL, I still can't figure out all the options on mine.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Seedfork, i know exactly what you mean, I have to do the same sometimes, sometimes the pictures are right on the dime and sometimes they are off color I i find my three different camera's take three different pictures from each other) One is sometimes definately better at certain colors then the other and visa -versa ( I wish they made huge camera screens, It would certainly make life easier!)

hemlady, I sometimes do the same, Take 10 of one bloom and pick out the best of them, But, Pictures do add up fast that way lol ..10 pics x 9 blooms ..90 photos to go through ( Very time consuming) And when there's 30 and up blooms out there it adds up fast, It used to drive me crazy going through them all lol, Now I try to take only a couple -3 of each (unless it's something that really sticks out to me)

Had to laugh at the last 2 posts, I know what your all saying, I had mine for a while now (Not even going to metion how long Seedfork) and still can't operate it right!!

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

I guess if we were more technically oriented we could connect an I-pad to our camera and then we would be able to see.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Doesn't the ipad take photos? Like the iphone? I don't know since I don't have one.....but I thought I had seen people out and about with them taking photos................

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Yes it does, but the quality of phone photos and I-pad photos can't match a good camera most of the time. They just don't have the quality lens that a decent camera has.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Seedfork, totally agree on both counts!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

A co-worker of mine have an I pad. It takes some nice looking pics IMHO. I am using a Kodak C180 that came as part of a terrible printer deal. It's a good thing the camera was part of the deal. When you need color ink to print BLACK AND WHITE that's not cool, KODAK!!!! Whose idea was that??

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.