Need ID help please on mystery vine

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I bought this vine at a Master Gardener Expo this spring, but the vendor had lost the tag. So I took a chance. It's blooming now, but I have no idea what it is. The foliage is quite sparse. Could anyone ID this for me? Thanks.

Thumbnail by cedar18
Barbourville, KY(Zone 7a)

It's a Hoya of some kind.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Absolutely right, a hoya. But that is amazing. That it is blooming so soon after planting. LOL, difference between the climates. We could never plant them outside here, and don't think it would bloom in the house for a long time. But, I am sure there are some folks out there who have a super green thumb that could do it.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much. It's great knowing I can always count on a DG member to know!

Rochester, NY(Zone 6a)

I've had a couple trailing Hoyas as indoor plants. Never thought about growing them in the ground but I have moved them to a covered porch for the summer. As an indoor plant they may not bloom until potbound so when potting it up to bring in in fall keep the pot size just big enough to accommodate the plant. Now and later don't cut off the little nubs ( I think they're called peduncles) that remain after each flower cluster as the plant may rebloom on those spots .Suggest you check Kartuz online catalog for photo identification and to see if it might be hardy outdoors in your area.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well Irishmist, a covered porch I would think would move it up a zone. Don't you think? You are right about the pot size. Good info on the peduncles, LOL, wonder who came up with a word like that. Thanks so much.

Vieques, PR

Hoyas tend to be sparse in the wild, where we are. They pull back from full sun to grow steadily in filtered light, but longer not bushier. They also establish roots anywhere they can --the notch of a tree, on a trellis corner where leaves accumulate-- and ultimately don't really need their original terrestrial roots.

Grand Rapids, MI

I BELIEVE YOU HAVE A HOYA PLANT---THE VERY SAME ONE I HAD GROWING INDOORS FOR YEARS. IT HAD THE MOST DELICIOUS SCENT AND MY CHILDREN WOULD COLLECT THE DROPS OF NECTAR THAT THE FLOWERS PRODUCED. IT WAS SO SWEET. ENJOY, LUNDY

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

All of my various Hoyas are outdoors in pots - they are so pretty right now!

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

All of my (2), lol are outside also, but will have to come in for the winter..They were rescue plants that were dead except for the roots that I took a chance on..I didn;t even know what they were til they started growing.. They have done great for less than a year.. No blooms yet, but hoping soon.

Larkie

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

The photo looks exactly like my houseplant I bought several years ago. Label says Hoya carnosa. Mine is much bushier in a pot in a window but otherwise leaves, vines and flowers all just like yours.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info, MLM. I doubt it will survive over the winter here.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

I've always known your plant as a Hoya (houseplant) and also heard it referred to as "Christ's Tears". The plant weeps as RUBYMOM made mention.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.