What daylily is this?

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Is it Red Hill by chance?

I purchased it as Strawberry Candy and was anxiously awaiting it to bloom. It looks to me like an older variety, but it surely isn't what I thought it was. LOL

The plant is small still and this is it's first year. The petals are narrow and between 4-1/2-5" across. I have no idea what it's ploidy is or Dormant, Semi, EV, or whatever.

Thumbnail by l2le
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Reminds me a bit of Spiderman. Not all growers do this but some grow their plants in rows in alphabetical order. I try to sometimes figure out what the flower could possibly be by checking out all the S's that would be red.

Kalama, WA(Zone 8b)

I was thinking it looked like it could be Crimson Pirate. It might be a hard one to narrow down. Could you ask where you purchased it?

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

It looks like my Rosie Meyer. It grows 32" tall and has a 5" bloom. Mine is blooming now. So Hemlady may have a better idea with Spiderman. It may be hard to figure out there are so many reds.

Wynnburg, United States

I am thinking Crimson Pirate...don't think it is Spiderman because the blooms on it are huge about 7" I believe...if you don't have Spiderman you should get it...it is one of my favorite reds that I have!

Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for the input.

I bought it on a whim from Publisher's Clearing House. The picture looked so pretty of the Strawberry Candy, but this obviously is not that!

It is a new plant that I received in May if I remember correctly, so that is it's first bloom.

It had a whole bunch of small fans, and I thought goodie for me!

Surprise!

This particular daylily has narrow petals, and I don't see any resemblance to Spiderman, Rosie Meyer or Crimson Pirate. I'll hopefully get another bloom soon and possibly be able to ID it then.

I personally think it looks more like Red Hill than anything else I have seen.

Linda

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen Spiderman.................... sounds like I need to look it up. My boys (although now young men) LOVE spiderman! :)

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

I2le, I looked up Red Hill and it does look like it. It doesn't look like my Rosie Meyer now that I look at in bloom. Here is Rosie Meyer.

Thumbnail by taylordaylily
East Greenwich, RI

My first guess was also Crimson Pirate. Does it have a million buds on it?

Red Hill is Late as I remember...

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Linda, this is my Red Hill from last year. Received same season.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Rio Rancho, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone,

I'd say it is probably Red Hill. It sure looks like Mike's!

Linda

ps I got my money back and didn't have to dig it up either! LOL

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Linda, Glad they gave you your money back and didn't ask for you to return the plant. I hate when it's their mistake and they want you to pay to return the plant. The first time I ordered Strawberry Candy I received Frans Hals instead.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.