My showy Mountain ash trunk is rotting

Brooklyn Park, MN(Zone 4a)

It has mushrooms growing on the trunk,I have only had the tree 2yrs now.There is a lot of new growth and flowers on it right now.Do you guys think it will die?Is there anything I should do?

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Ok, let me ask you this question...does your dog urinate on the trees? I would also ask the same questions about your blue spruce now that I know you have a dog. I used to work at a veterinary clinic and in the landscaping was a bird's nest spruce that would continually get urinated on by the dogs. It died as a result. I think it had to do with the acidity of the urine.

The ash looks like it may have a canker. Cankers can either be caused by bacteria or fungus. You could try treating it but it looks pretty large for such a tiny tree.

Good luck!

This message was edited Jun 17, 2013 9:16 PM

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Agree that canker / diseased patch on the trunk doesn't look good. Possibly sunscald followed by fungal infection of the dead bark and wood. Don't think the dog's responsible, the damage is too high.

The tree is a rowan (Sorbus), not an ash (Fraxinus).

Resin

The dogs pee on the grass,thats why I have a lot of dead grass lol.I know it's kinda weird having 2 boys put yeah they both pee in the middle of the yard.Okay so canker alright that sucks.

Thumbnail by queenbeez

Well this guy is still alive and blooming!

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez

I know the ash will eventually die from this right?should I remove it now or later.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Let it keep growing.

There are trees that have recovered from worse. Wound wood (callus) is trying to close that damage while the rest of the tree lives. Keep the tree thrifty, well watered and fed, and you may outgrow the problem. You'll at least enjoy it in the meantime...

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

VV, what does it mean to keep a tree thrifty?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Make sound investments, save for it's seedlings' college fund, don't eat out all the time, wear hand me downs...

I was a bit redundant by writing thrifty, well-watered and fed. I suppose I meant Healthy when I wrote thrifty - meaning, don't let it wilt in hot weather (unhealthy) or strain itself to put on new growth, lush foliage, and additional callus wood. Some fertilization will aid that, too.

I really love this tree so yup we'll see what happens.

Eau Claire, WI(Zone 4a)

Quote from ViburnumValley :
Make sound investments, save for it's seedlings' college fund, don't eat out all the time, wear hand me downs...

Excellent advice. It could've come from my mother...

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Hark...I hear a voice...why would anybody pay good money for bottles of water...how wasteful to buy lattes...oh yes, that's my mother...and she was right, too!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Y'all are hilarious!

I can not believe this tree still going strong and double the flowers/berries then last year.

Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez Thumbnail by queenbeez
Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, that looks real good. It seems to have gotten over it and is now callusing around the blemish. There is much hope for this guy :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.