onion question

Decatur, GA

I have a small veggie garden I grow each year with some yummy results. This year I have had some good luck with the onion plants I put in, as you can see from the pictures. In fact they have grown so much better than ever before I am not sure what to do with these lovely big onions. To be more specific, do I need to pull them now or can I just leave them in the ground and pull them one at a time when I want to use them? One has gone to seed and I think that might be the end of that one. If I need to pull them to keep them from deteriorating how well and for how long do you suppose they will keep in the fridge? I could freeze them in small batches for later use in soups/stews etc.
I appreciate any and all advice the onion experts (or otherwise) out there have to offer.
Thanks.
Helen
BTW, the tops fell over when I pulled the turnips that were growing near them. Is that significant in any way?

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

What is the variety? I can cure the variety Candy here and keep them in a coolish dry place for two or three months but some onions don't keep as well. If I have too many to use up in a couple of months I dice them, freeze them on cookie sheets and bag them for later use. I usually end up with enough for cooking for most of the winter. Some people dry onions but I don't have a dehydrator.

Decatur, GA

Thanks Vashur. I don't know the variety beyond white sweet that was on the label of the onion plants.
I guess dicing and freezing is a good option. Do you think they need to be blanched before freezing?
Helen

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

No, you don't need to blanch them.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I grow "Candy" onions and use this to chop them

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Big-Mouth-Chopper-Slicer/dp/B0013V8UJS/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I freeze small batches on a cookie sheet, then bag them. This way I can take out just the amount I need when necessary.

I don't blanch them.

Decatur, GA

Thanks.

Hutto, TX(Zone 8b)

Helen,

When the tops fall over they are ready to harvest. Pull them, then leave them laying in a protected area with air circulation for a few days. After that, you can brush the dirt and loose skins away. Store in a mesh bag or other area with good circulation (like a hanging wire basket). Even sweet onions should last for 2-3 months. That should be long enough to use up a pretty good crop.

You can freeze as others have described, too. That lets you use "your" onions at other times of the year when you'd normally have to rely on the grocery store.

David

Decatur, GA

Thanks David.

Hummelstown, PA(Zone 6b)

yes they are ready to harvest. Dont leave them in the ground as they can rot or get botrytis neck rot. Sweet onions are especially prone to this.

remove and dry and store.

the sweeter the onion...more sugar the less it stores.1-3 months max.

Decatur, GA

I put them in the veggie drawer and they are holding up fine. They are delicious too! ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.