Remembering my days of hybridizing

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

These are seedlings from crosses I did in 2007-2009.Most no longer exist after the major freeze we had at the greenhouse. Tropical hibiscus don't like 14 F much.
From Left to right : Party Colors,Center of the Sun,Joyful,Sedona Sunset,Pele's Pinwheel.
Kyle :-)

Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

More....
Left to right: Sea Shore,Hypnotic Eye,Chinese Gown,Spectral Light,Witch'es Spell

Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse Thumbnail by Eclipse
Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

A few more,I had forgotten some of these, seems like a hundred years ago that I was doing so many crosses.
Left to right: Splat,Tropical Skies,Glowing Embers,Smokey Joe,New Time.

Kyle

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

last for now...
Left to right:

Eturuu,Saturn's Glow,Crossing Over,Waffles,Uropas Halo.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

The last grouping of Eturuu,Saturn's Glow,Crossing Over,Waffles,and Uropas Halo are my favorites. Also love Hypnotic Eye and Joyful. They are all beautiful though. Good for you for trying in the Iowa weather. What made you stop?

Kenner, LA

Lovely images Kyle and great work with the hybridization. I love the Glowing Embers and Witches Spell... Did they survive?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I had to stop because they transferred me to an area without a greenhouse to use.Maybe someday I'll start up again
.Hard to locate the stock plants for crossing.I used many old old types.

MajiA,

I think I still have Witches Spell, I know I lost glowing embers though.It was a heavy textured small flower.Darkest brown I have ever seen.

Kyle

Kenner, LA

I hope you get to restart your hybridization. Looks like you got some cuties there.

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I agree!

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanx!

Thumbnail by Eclipse
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Kyle, those are amazing - do you start cuttings to trade?

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Kay, many of these don't exist anymore.I think I have about 3 of these still here.All the rest were frozen a few years back when the greenhouse hit 14 F one spring.
:-(

Yesterday i started to buy Cajun Creek.I knew it would not make it were i live,because it is a tropical plant.Yeah it would live through the summer,but not the winter.So i did not by it.It had a beautiful flower on it and i took a pic of it.

Sorry i press send before i put the pic.Cajun Creek.

Cody

This message was edited Jun 23, 2013 11:56 PM

Thumbnail by

Kyle you have such beautiful flowers.

Cody

Kenner, LA

Cody,
That is a lovely flower. Sometimes you just got to buy it and enjoy while you can and then hope for the best during the colder months.

Thanks!! it is very pretty.I just didn't want it have to live in a pot.I know that they can get big.I just rather find a hardy one.So it will come back year after year,while its in the ground.

Cody

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Cody.

Kyle,you are very welcome..

Cody

Atlanta, GA

If someone is interested in hybridizing tropical hibiscus, go to the website for "Hibiscus Lady Nursery." (Link is below)
This nursery is owned by Jill Coryell. She has "How to Hybridize" information at the website.
I have been getting plants from her for about 3 years now and I can't sing her praises enough. The flowers on the plants that she has created/hybridized are gorgeous. Her plants are superior to any I have received from any other source. All of the packages I have received from her have been exceptional, including the labeling, packaging and the condition of the plants upon arrival.
Her customer service is excellent. Within a short time, I felt like I had a new friend.
Link to website: http://www.hibiscusladyhawaii.com

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.