Zone 9 poppies

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

I love poppies. What kind of poppies will grow in the deep south near New Orleans?

Corte Madera, CA

Hello! I'm new to poppies. I sent your query on Twitter, and hopefully someone will chime in. In the meantime, here's a link to a good read in case you have not stumbled upon it.

http://www.seasonalwisdom.com/2011/08/growing-poppies-in-the-garden/

Happy Gardening!

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Moonglow
No one offered any information.
I tried sowing California poppies. None popped up :(
I purchased a few boxed plants of oriental poppies from Walmart. They grew, then fizzles out before blooming. :(

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

I can't imagine what poppy would grow in your weather. If California poppies won't make the grade.
Found on the internet but I don't believe it:
The tall oriental poppy (Papever orientale) and the shorter Iceland poppy (P. nudicaule) are both perennial poppy plants for full sun and hot weather. The oriental poppy stands to 4 feet tall with large single or double flowers to 6 inches across. The Iceland poppy matures at 2 feet with slightly smaller, but fragrant blossoms. These perennial sun-lovers are available in nearly every color of the rainbow.

Best you can do is plant in a very shady place but not a wet one. They don't like wet feet.

Pretoria, South Africa

Hi VanGarden,

Here in South Africa we grow Iceland poppies in winter (usually as an annual). I also grow other poppies by keeping the seed in the refrigerator, and sowing it towards the end of autumn. That way the plants get time to establish and flower before the heat sets in in late Spring. I haven't been able to get hold of P. orientale, so I assume it just "can't take the heat". I am trying to grow them from seed. Holding thumbs.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Elsa, Mary, VanGarden and Moonglow. Good to see some activity here. I didn't see that post back in 06-15-2013. I am sure that as some of the other poppy lovers come out of hibernation we will get more input. The pros' and Cons' of each zone is amazing.

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

I planted sowed California poppy seeds in December. A few sprouted and are blooming.
I also sowed some red annual poppy seeds in November. Many sprouted and are blooming.
I saw a home in a city near me that had some beautiful double peach poppies. I would to have some of those.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

Poppies are very cold hardy so I would sow them in September like I do snow peas and broccoli and lettuce. I'd try the California poppies again if I were you. Raised bed or container would prevent the wet feet they dont like.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Poppies blooming, YES!!
VanGarden, we are glad that your winter sowing has come to fruition. Do you have any pictures to share??? Mike

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for your replies
Let me try and upload a picture of the Calfornia poppies still in bloom.
I didn't know they bloomed this long. I am hoping they reseed and bloom again next year.
Do I have to save the seeds or will they still grow if the seeds just falls down to the ground after blooming?

When I press on "chose a file" nothing happens.

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

My small patch of California Poppies.

Weird. It works for me. Could be your browser. I just pressed it and it brought up a window of my computer directories to follow to the file I wanted.

I would scatter some seeds but also save some just in case to scatter in the early spring while it is still cool. Your winter this year was unusually cold so perhaps that is why they worked so well. Oh, and do put the seeds you save into the refrigerator in an envelope to get a good chill over winter.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

The CP just show up around here with nothing special on my part. I am surprise that no one else have any blooms yet. I am expecting some any day now from Red Shades. The others are coming along nicely. Mary is correct on what should happen.

Oh, that's right California Poppies. I was thinking the wrong direction, needing cold to germinate. Maybe they don't need a cold snap. I can only get them as annuals up here.

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi
The pictures were taken with my smartphone. The smallest photo on my phone is 2.4 2048x1152. It's to large to upload. I don't know how to make the photo smaller.
I have a few red and salmon annual poppies seeds a friend gave me.
Hope they make a beautiful display next year. I think poppies are very beautuful flowers. But the ragged look while waiting for seed pods to dry can be an eye sore in the flower beds.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

VanGarden, you can reduce the resolution on your phone. When you go to the picture program you should have an option button, in there is where you can tweak the pic settings. Waiting for seeds is a necessary evil. At some point you can cut them off and let them finish drying in a paper bag upside down.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

VanGard: Just a comment:
I bought some Oriental Poppies a few years ago. The first year they did not bloom & I thought I had lost them. They did show up the following year--still no blooms. The third year they bloomed. This is their fourth year (I think), and they bloomed even better. So, don't despair-they may show up the following year. Mark the spot where they were and give the area water occasionally. You may be just watering the dirt, but there may be a root there.

It is difficult to get rid of orientals. I have been trying to irradicate one for years but I keep getting little sprouts up to a couple of feet away

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.