Plants that live for a long time

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

I would like to grow plants in my zone 9 garden that will last a long time & easy care.
I have camellias, antique roses, azaleas, shrimps plants & hydrangeas.
Which plantsof do you recommend? Thanks

This message was edited Jun 15, 2013 4:03 PM

Chevy Chase, MD

Yellow flag iris will last a long time. Good foliage. People usually how it in water, but it does fine in my yard. The only issue is to pull the seed pods off so that it doesn't spread, which it will do. Unlike other irises, it has very nice foliage, tall and strong.

Hosta grows well and the clumps just get bigger with age. But they are deer fodder. So if you have deer, forget it.

I di not know if peonies grow in 9a. If they do, peonies are the long livingest plant there is. Need sun and some staking. That would be my first addition.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Crinums are long-lived and hardy in the South.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Crinums, Agapanthus, Amaryllis, Peruvian Daffodils, Crape Myrtles, Elephant Ears, Daylilies: They all do well in the south and are easy to care for.

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks friends, I will plant those recommended.

PhillipW2
I would love to grow peonies but it too hot in my climate. South Louisiana is very humid & peonies wouldn't last. Maybe the tree form. But, I never seen any peonies growing in my area. I think peonies are so beautiful!

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh I forgot Caladiums, they should do great for you and in your zone you won't have to dig them up. Even here in Zone 8b I leave my in the ground and they come back. How about Glads, also I'll bet Asiatic and Oriental Lilies would do great there.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure for you but my Amsonia Hubrechtii is lovely after 15 years in my garden. It is the blue flowering plant at the bottom of the picture. Takes a long time to mature, but when it does...... Wow.

Thumbnail by rteets
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow is right! I'm glad to hear (and see) that. My Amsonia hubrechtii was planted several years ago and I noticed the first blooms this year. Now I'm really anxious for it to mature.

Thibodaux, LA(Zone 9a)

I bought a beautiful large Queen Emma crinum today. I hope it lasts a long time. The foliage is o pretty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.