Tall Iris for less than full sun?

(Zone 4b)

I have a spot which gets probably 4 hours of direct sun and bright/dappled shade otherwise.

Are there some tall (3 feet) June blooming Irises that would flower in such an aspect?

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I have asimilr area on the north side of our building, and I have a few "old " cultivars growing there. Fabian does the best, but stalks are "spindley", flowers small, and not many of them. If you are set on trying iris there, I would suggest an old (historic) cultivar, maybe one with varigated foliage, that way you will have more visual interest, even without blooms !?....Arlyn

South Hamilton, MA

You could always try IBs. (intermediate bearded iris.)

Cherryvale, KS

I have several iris growing in too much shade. The only way it works for me , the tree is walnut and leafs out late. They are not as good as those growing in more sun. Try a couple!

Dallas, TX

When I lived in Austin, TX one of our iris beds were prob. in what would be considered as too much shade. These were very very old tall bearded dark purple ones. What they would do was sorta snake along the ground, but they definitely bloomed every year. Sometimes we would stake them but most years we were too lazy busy to stake 'em.

Sorry. Don't know the name. They were planted in the 1930s or so.

This message was edited Mar 21, 2014 12:20 PM

South Hamilton, MA

Bearded iris should have at least a half day of sun.

Concord, NC

Our Iris Pallida Dalmatica, Indian Chief, and William A Setchell all do good and thrive pretty well in the shade.so does Lent A. Williamson, Wild Germanica Grandmother's blue Flag, Florentina, and Cemetery Iris Albicans.. they all do pretty good in some shade most of the day too. Out of all of these the Iris Pallida Dalmatica and the William Setchell do the best in the shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.