Turtle ID Please

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

This guy was talking a walk in the rain yesterday, I know the pictures arent great since I spooked him and it was pouring rain, but can anyone tell me what he may be, he came out of the Hudson River. I have never seen such a huge turtle. Thanks Christine

Thumbnail by jasminesmom Thumbnail by jasminesmom Thumbnail by jasminesmom
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

That is a snapping turtle. They do get huge! Terri

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Thank you Terri, he was bigger than my dog LOL, I'm sure he could take a finger off in a instant !!!
Christine

Lyndonville, NY

He difinitely could take a finger off...and would given the chance!!

My daughter just had a huge one cross the main road, walked up her driveway...which is very long....and go back to a "swampy area" she has
behind the house. She said her dog Dolly, which is a red tick coon hound, just looked at it and whined....went back in the house! lol

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Seeing this snapping turtle thread, reminded me of my snapping turtle story. Here is the photo of a huge snapping turtle that was in my pond several years ago. I discovered its presence when I saw a mallard duck struggling and then being pulled under water. I had one of the Lucketts ol' timers come trap it and then we took it down to the Potomac River and released it. They sure are ugly pre-historic looking creatures!

Thumbnail by aspenhill
Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, they sure are, That one is huge too, I read they get up to 35 + years old....

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

Snapping turtle numbers are declining rapidly in southern Ontario due to the draining of wetlands and the building of houses on what used to be farmlands. Pretty soon, snappers will be an endangered species here! I'm fortunate to have an old fishpond that contains at least 6 large female snappers, which lurch out of the water every year around this time to scrape holes and lay eggs in my gravel driveway or newly dug flowerbeds. Raccoons dig up and eat half the eggs. Later in the year, my DH and I give the turtles that hatch a helping hand across the lawn to the long grass at the edge of the pond. They're very cute when they're little!

Saugerties, NY(Zone 5a)

June, you must show us pictures of the little ones if you get the chance..
Christine

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

OK, I'll try to get baby turtle pics, but you may need to bump the thread to remind me in a couple of month's time!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Bumping.

Decatur, GA

Any baby turtles this year?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.