Dumb Question?

Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

Probably.
But I am wondering what exactly is a "frying" pepper?
That's a new term to me.
And can "frying" peppers be used raw, are they interchangeable with bell peppers in use?
From reading the threads here, I'm assuming they are easier to grow and more productive than bells, am I understanding correctly?
Thank you!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Frying peppers are sweet peppers which are most suitable for frying. Usually theyare elongated and somewaht slender. While some are big enough to stuff, many are not not. Example my favorite frying pepper Melrose.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Kingsville, TX(Zone 9b)

"Frying peppers are sweet peppers which are most suitable for frying."

Yeah, I kinda-sorta figured that. ;>)

However, my question is pretty much "Are they good to eat raw?"

Also, if a plant is labeled as a 'frying' pepper, exactly what should I expect ? Nice thick walls? Thinner walls? Is there a lot of difference in flavor?
In other words, in a perfect world full of perfect plants, exactly what traits would a 'frying' pepper have (besides shape) that would distinguish it from a bell pepper? ? ? ?

Thanks!

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I can't really answer your questions. I love Marconis and they come in 3 different colors. The one thing I have found to be true for frying peppers vs bells is that I get a MUCH higher yield with frying peppers, the fruit is much larger, and they are almost perfect in shape every time. With bells I usually get very few peppers, they are small, and they can have blemishes and thin walls. These are characteristics I don't find in frying peppers. Thank goodness.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from lbarden547 :
"Frying peppers are sweet peppers which are most suitable for frying."

Yeah, I kinda-sorta figured that. ;>)

However, my question is pretty much "Are they good to eat raw?"

Also, if a plant is labeled as a 'frying' pepper, exactly what should I expect ? Nice thick walls? Thinner walls? Is there a lot of difference in flavor?
In other words, in a perfect world full of perfect plants, exactly what traits would a 'frying' pepper have (besides shape) that would distinguish it from a bell pepper? ? ? ?

Thanks!

Frying peppers is just a generic term for non-bell types because they are not usually used as a stuffing pepper as bells are. They are a varied catagory. Some have thin walls, some thick, some are sweet others not so sweet. some have 3 walls and others have 4. The description of the pepper will describe their qualities. I eat them raw...the sweet ones... and I have used the larger types Marconi's for stuffing, as well as just frying them in a bit of olive oil. Just look at them as a bell pepper thjat's been stretched. And as mentioned in the previous post, they usually produce more fruit than a bell pepper.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.