Hidden ginger blooming

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I got this from a friend last year and thought it had died over the Winter when it still hadn't come up about 5 weeks ago. But, it ain't dead!!!!
Yea!!!!!!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Another pretty Curcma .. yours looks like a C. petiolata. Over the years I've noticed that the Curcuma - Hidden Gingers and Costus - Spiral Gingers are always the last to come up and once the shoots hit air they shoot off like rockets - Hedychiums, the Butterfly Gingers seem to sprout if you just show them dirt.

I have the Emperor and Panama Purple Hidden Gingers I'd love to trade for some of your C. petiolata come fall if your interested.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I just read some more about them and see that they're good in arrangements.
Awesome!
We can absolutely trade come Fall.
Barb

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I have some gingers and they grow n grow but don't bloom, I still have them in pots. Could that be the reason they will not bloom. Also can they take direct sun/
Lavina

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

LavinaMae, I bet you could grow them in a decent amount of sun (6 hrs). I have some white gingers in the ground. They get afternoon/midday sun (4-5 hrs) and they were blooming by mid-summer last year. The ones in the picture only get early morning direct light. The rest of the day it's only dappled.
I would try them in the ground since the only reason you would grow them is for the blooms. Try it!
Barb

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Which gingers do you have Lavinia? I'm betting they are the Butterfly Gingers, Hedychium. The Hedychium are a solid zone 8 hardy so you don't have to worry about putting them in the ground and yes, they will probably bloom with more root room.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.