Picture of new dianthus Scent First Sugar Plum

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

Here is the first picture of my just-opening dianthus Scent First Sugar Plum. It is a very nice plant for the front of the border and for it's first year blooming, it's covered in buds. The leaves remind me of a carnation rather than a dianthus. All in all, I'm very pleased with it.

Linda

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa

This is a close up of the flower, showing the shape and color.

Thumbnail by Igrowinpa
Pretoria, South Africa

Wow! A real show stopper...

Thanks, Elsa123. You know when you purchase a plant sight unseen, you really never know if you are going to love it or not. I bought this plant last spring from Garden Harvest Supply. It was in about a 3 inch pot when it came and of course it didn't bloom last year. So when it started to show buds this year, I was thrilled. And to have so many flowers on a one year old plant, I was extremely happy. Since it made it through the winter last year, I feel pretty confident that it will continue to be hardy here. That's really important.

Linda

Pretoria, South Africa

Linda,

I will have to keep y eye open for it next year. I love dianthus (it reminds me of my granddad...) but lately they tend to not have much of a fragrance. Such a pity..
I love the way this one has a compact growth habit with lovely long, pick-able stems.

Elsa

I just wanted to update everyone on how Scent First Sugar Plum Dianthus did over our very cold winter. Quite a bit of it died back to the point where it's just growing now. I had thought that I'd lost it. Last year, as you can see from my message above, it was full size and in full bloom on June 9th. It is still small and no where near to bloom at this time. I will continue to update everyone on it's progress this summer.

I guess maybe I should be happy that it's even alive. We had a horrible, cold, long winter that lasted into spring. I lost several plants that were a surprise to me and at least Sugar Plum wasn't one of them.

Linda

Decided to post another update about Sugar Plum. Very disappointing this year. I had mentioned above that it did take quite a hit over the winter and was very late in showing new growth in the spring. It grew very slowly and there were only a couple of flowers on the plant this past summer. I am hoping for better winter weather this coming year but time will tell. I will post about it again in the spring.

Linda

My Scent First Sugar Plum took another beating this past winter. We had one of the worst winters here in Western PA for probably 15 years. Sugar Plum doesn't even look to be alive. I will give it more time to come up and will post an update here.

Linda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.