drought tolerant?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have recently moved from Los Angeles, where just about anything grows well, to the inland high desert (still in Los Angeles county) where almost nothing grows. I know NOTHING about Daylilies, other than they are somehow in the same family of plants as some of my favorites (Aloes and Xanthorrhoeas- all seem very unrelated to me). Anyway, Aloes and Xanthorrhoeas won't grow here (they will, but they won't survive the winters).. I am interested in maybe starting to grow daylilies, but the relative humidity is nearly 0 here, and the soil is about as full as nutrients as beach sand, and literally sucks the water deep into it instantly. It is a wonder anything can grow here... do you know of any particularly drought tolerant cultivars? I am willing to water them daily if need be, but stuff like lawn and roses struggle some here even if I water them daily. So would a daylily survive this climate? I know winter will not be an issue, but the incredibly dry soil/air and intense constant winds are what I would worry about... plus I see no one growing these in this area (that I have learned, however, is NOT a good test of what will grow somewhere.. my last garden had over 4000 species of plants that almost no one grew.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Is there anything you are able to do to create a more viable environment? For example using privacy fence or similar to block wind, hauling in truck loads of soil or compost, adding a drip water system, ect? I really have no experience with the conditions you are facing. I lived in Lawton OK for over a year and I don't think anything will grow down there very well. The winds are just too hot/dry and strong. Some kind of barrier to block wind would IMO be the best single thing you could do to prevent the plants from drying out as fast and use less water.

have you considered bearded iris?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have not considered much of anything yet, as I have no experience with any plants other than cacti, succulents, palms and cycads. Plants that make nice flowers are a novel thing to me, and I am just now discovering there are more than just a few kinds of rose bush. But the person who we bought the house from was familiar with bearded iris, and though the rabbits eat most of them, we were blessed with a lot of blooms this spring of various sorts (no idea what each was, though). Rabbits LOVE iris, though. Not much left alive now but the bulbs... most of the leafy material is now spread about the dirt in the form of little rabbit droppings. Day lilies taste good to rabbits?

As for wind control, we live on the top of a very steep hill with 360 slopes down. Making wind breaks will take growing a lot of huge trees, something I suspect will take more than a year or two, or at all possible here.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

We lived in Palmdale for several years so I feel your pain when it comes to growing things. Are you looking to grow in the ground (such as it is), containers, both? IMHO, the ground will have to be amended where just about anything is to be planted there. I had daylilies in a protected area - they were mostly planted on the east side of the house so the house and garage shaded them from the hottest afternoon sun. Fortunately, that area included the front walk and faced the front yard. Daylilies will need some afternoon shade in your location. I know you are familiar with container gardening. Here's a Sunset article that might be helpful.

http://www.sunset.com/garden/flowers-plants/daylilies-that-win-in-west-00400000021097/

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Palmbob, I have seen a lot of your pics in the garden showcase. I'm very impressed with the layout of all your succulents and all those unusual plants. Evergreen daylilies would probably do best in your climate. highcountrygardens.com specialize in a lot of xeric plants. Mike

You could use lattice board to create some shade. I don't know about the rabbits but maybe some chicken wire or such about 3 or 4 ft tall would work? I don't know if morning glory would grow there or not, but they are tough and drought tolerant. Would be pretty on the wire. I am inclined to think pots might dry out too quickly? To create windbreaks I would try using some kind of shrub along w the trees, the shrubs would grow faster and give you more benefit before the trees mature.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I am trying to like Oleander, as it is a flowering shrub, grows fast and is very drought tolerant... but it is EVERYWHERE... so it is a slow process of acceptance. Many use it here as a large visual and wind screen and it does look rather nice and is almost always in bloom... I love the look of morning glory and I bet anything it is NOT invasive in this climate! Last time I grew morning glory, I regretted it for years after and never did get a hold on its control.... someone else owns the house now so it's their problem (whew!).

will desert willow grow there? It is a small tree, we seen them growing in OK.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

They grow great here. Have one... need many more. Cost a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.