Carolyn

Dearborn, MI

For those who do not know and may have missed Carolyns post of late, she has been in the hospital for the last week for a severe infection from a blockage caused by a kidney stone. If you would like to know more, please visit http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=28446

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

I'm glad you posted this, cause I was wondering about notifying DG about Carolyn. Thanks, Nancy. Hopefully we will have her back soon!

Sharon

Calgary, Canada

I am not a member at Tomatoville.
Could you send a note, and tell her that the Calgary, Alberta, Canada,
tomatoe growers are rooting for a quick recovery for her?
We all enjoyed her book.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Tell Carolyn that I'll be watching the Roland Garros Finals this Saturday, and will be thinking about her.

Also, tell her Maria Sharapova looks to be in good form, but Sister Serena will be taking NO prisoners!

Linda

Dearborn, MI

There has been no update on her condition for a couple of days, though she has been out of ICU for a while now. Will keep everyone posted here as to what it posted on Tomatoville,

Dearborn, MI

The news from Carolyn's brother is that she has be moved to a rehab facility. Good news.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

best wishes for her

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Carolyn, we miss you!

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

I've just caught up with this thread. Best of wishes to Carolyn for a speedy recovery!

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

For those of you who don't belong to Tomatoville, we've had an update. Carolyn, is in rehab, feisty and defiant as ever. She's giving the nurses a run for their money, so it sounds like she is hopefully on the road to recovery.

They'll ALL be growing tomatoes pretty soon, LOL!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This message was edited Jun 12, 2013 11:20 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

That is better than good to hear ! Sounds like a quick recovery , the best news !

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Gee Juhur, that was a quick recovery for you too. Great news. jen

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jen, it is those green beans. Must have magical ingredients.

Dearborn, MI

Carolyn, so very glad to hear you are back home and resting. Hospital are such bad places to try to get some rest, but it sounds like they got the job done for you. I am sure I am joined by all the folks here wishing you a speedy recovery and to express our appreciation for all you have taught us.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Carolyn I am happy you are out of the joint. I just spent a week in the hospital followed by seven weeks in a rehab facility. I know your a lot happier in your own home. Wishing you a peaceful recovery at your home. Rehabs are the place to be when you really need one but are even better to be from. Get well soon.

Longboat Key, FL

Hey Carolyn:

Where are you when I need you?

Sorry I missed all of this problem you've been having. . I've been too busy watching my tomatoes struggling to stay alive during our warm (hot) spell, to get on line.

My new kumato plants are gasping for breath. Luckily the Camparis are struggling along with few fruits.

In desperation I bought a beefsteak plant from Home Depot I order to avoid store-boughts. it is blossoming -- so that's good.

is there any large tomato that could withstand the heat? I am not giving up, yet. What about that Neves Azorean Red?

Get better -- and back to the computer. Please.

Be well

(o_O)

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

FB I am not C but I think Mexico is supposed to take some heat. I grew it a few years ago and got large t's I don't know why I don't grow it now.

Longboat Key, FL

Mexico?

Is that it?

Be well

(o_O)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

There are many large tomatoes that take the heat but it may be too late to plant now for a summer crop but it might be a good time to start for a fall garden. I don't know how hot it gets there or what zone you are in. You can google tomato plants for hot temps and you will get tons of hits.

If I remember correctly the Kumato tomato was first grown in Ventura Ca. Defiantly not known for it's heat,more for it's fog. Lol

Longboat Key, FL

I just added Mexico to my order.

So here goes.

Hasta la calda

Be wll

(o_O)

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Mexico#tab=General_Info

Above the link to Tania's database and you can see that I've grown it and was the first to list it in the SSE Yearbook,

No one I know considers it to be heat tolerant, it's been grown in the midwest for many years. And not all varieteis from Meico are heat tolerant anyway,

My FL frienbs can and do grow ANY variety they want to but it all depends on timing as to when they start seeds and get plants out there and have temps that allow for fruit set, before the hot humid days set in.

Fl and other hot humid areas are the same with respect to timing. Some work has been done on developing varieties with pollen that can take higher temps before blossom drop sets in, but no one has yet solved the problem of pollen clumping which occurs in sustained high humdity areas,

Carolyn

Longboat Key, FL

Hey Carolyn:

Thank you -- and welcome back.

I, for one, missed you.

Be well

(o_O)

I have been in the Mid west, on the East Coast, and by the Great lakes during the summer. All I can say is I almost died of suffocation do to the high humidity. I do have some varieties that seem to set better in the heat of the summer BUT the humidity here is nothing compared to other places I've been.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Lisa, I think you and a few others know that for many years I taught med students in Denver. Each summer I'd fly back home for a couple of weeks going from Denver to Chicago and then to the Albany, NY airport.

I'd get off that plane in Albany and yes, I'd darn near suffocate, as you said, with the murky air humidity,

But that's not a constant here as it is in most of the US SE in the summer.

And especially this year where I still have the heating system on, the large fans remain silent b'c few here have AC b/c it's just not needed.

We're supposed to be in a warming trend now, and I actually am looking forward to it. Tomato plants were planted late as shipped up to me by Craig L in NC, heavy rains and cold temps and all but 7 died after being set out by Freda in the gro bags.

The young lad I'm mentoring brought about 7 more plants yesterday, not new 2013 ones but ones I like, and set them out and supposedly I'm still to see three from Shoe arriving that are new 2013 ones, and so it goes.

In past years I would have been upset by all of this but after almost dying with this urosepsis shock I have a different view on life, I really do.

Carolyn

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Hi Carolyn, we really have had dreadful weather in our part of the world. It's true, our priorities change. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that temps stay steady. I'm using large grow bags and so far everything seems to be growing well. I have a few in the ground, so it will be an interesting comparison. Weather is supposed to get hot and that usually means humidity, so it's anybody's guess. Your recommendations so far are on a roll! Anna Russian still looks fraile!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

1 lisac I hear you on the Humidity thing . In Vermont or Conn I suffered so much from the heat and Humidity. I got out of an air conditioned car and was hit by a blast that almost scared my gizzard lol. I could never live there.

Carolyn where do you get the large grow bags ? I could retire some of my 25 gallon plastic tubs.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

You guys need to come and visit Las Vegas. We were hovering around 100 degrees today bu our humidity was 4%. And I have been picking ripe tomatoes for over a week. They were planted in March.

I lurk but could not resist a comment about our humidity. Yes, it is a dry heat. Does make a difference. Sharon

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Dry heat from Nevada to Texas .. Makes me BARF!!!!!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

JU, shut-up.....

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I am happy with the where I am.
...Not a chance ..... ^_^

Welcome back Carolyn , I read a lot of your conversations here , and your previous works .. Trying to stay with the thread ..

It's just something about those places where you can actually "wear" the humidity, LOL!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Gymgirl Like it is here , today , and now ,, I am use to "wearing" the humidty .
Temperatures from the desert are enough !!
After people have been or use to low humidity and dry , they don't like the humidity , Only I from where it is nearly always humid, and I don't like the low humidity of desert or dry territories ... I know what they mean is my point about it makes some physically ill , headaches ,nausea, general weakness all from quicktime humidity changes ,
Being weather sensitive just isn't any fun at all !!!lol

Texas is so large that the humidity varies greatly. The longer I live here the more I think my gardening schedule is different bc my climate is so much different then most of Texas and it sure isn't flat here.

After being all over the US including Alaska and Hawaii, I sometimes think I do live where there is a dry heat. Lol

Carolyn-I'm sorry you were so sick but glad you have a different perspective on life. I've been reading Craigs blog and know he got a late start too. Due to the cold temps I got a late start here but my plants are loaded, every one. This looks like it might be the best tomato season I've ever had in Tx

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Welcome home, Carolyn. I hope you get all your strength back soon. Your fans are content.
Marcia

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

"It's just something about those places where you can actually "wear" the humidity, LOL!"
----------------------------------------------

Humidity? Nah, not in the Ozarks!

I got up this morning and weighed myself. Had a big cup of coffee and headed to the garden - temperature 70-something.

I worked for a couple of hours, got my row of peppers hand-weeded and harvested two rows of beets. By that time the temp was in the low 80's, sunny, chance of thunderstorms today, and I was soaking wet (but not from rain). I couldn't stand it anymore so I quit working and headed inside for the air conditioning and a shower. Before the shower I weighed myself again - I had lost two pounds in two hours! Too bad that's temporary "water weight".

Oh, our high temp will be about 90 today but the "heat index" will be near 100. No "dry heat" here, apparently.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL! Not too bad here today. Lots of heat, but a stiff breeze so far and the humidity is average for this time of year.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We are suppose to hit 117 degrees for the next 3 days. I am staying inside. I will be in the garden only to make sure everything is being water. All automatic but we all know how that gos sometime. Be safe everyone, Hugs, Sharon

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Weed, amazon sells the large grow bags by Smart Pots and Hydrofarm. They're great! I'm having good luck so far. Of course the weather stinks! We're on rain overload here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.