New purchase b. boliviensis million kisses elegance

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Love these. I have b boliviensis bonfire coming back from last year. Found a cheap source for my newest one. 2 1/2 ft wide and it cost me 13 dollars. Yay!! Now for the boliviensis million kisses honeymoon! Have not seen the yellow locally though.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Choudrant, LA

Found a B. Boliviensis yesterday at lowes, very large basket for 9.95!

Was it red bonfire? Just love them!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, wonder if you can tell me if this one is also a B. Boliviensis. I got it as 3 small cuttings and the lady who sent it to me calls it 'Chocolate Bonfire'. It has the small, very narrow pointy leaves, with a slight dark cast to them.

Also, it's pretty wimpy, compared to most of my other begonias. To get a nice, full hanging basket like you have in that picture, do you have a whole lot of plants in one basket?

I'm thinking I should cut these long, lanky shoots, hope they branch, and root the cuttings in the same pot.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

It does look like it. I understand you have to pinch the shoots to make them full . The develop large rhizomes. Mine go dormant in the winter, and resprout in the spring. There are three rhizomes per hanging basket. I have not perfected their winter care. Of three rhizomes in my bonfire basket, I managed to kill one. I am still learning how to get them through dormancy! I was worried if I left them completely dry in our desert like winter conditions. They would shrivel. So I occasionally watered them. Perhaps enough to rot one.

Columbus, OH

I can't get them to overwinter, maybe I under/over watered. Or maybe they need to be removed from the soil altogether, which is what I do for the tuberous begonias.

Mine are over wintering ok. The dry seems to bother them less than wet and cold

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.