When is best time to divide irises?

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

When is the best time to dig and divide irises? Thank you.

Thumbnail by rockette Thumbnail by rockette Thumbnail by rockette Thumbnail by rockette Thumbnail by rockette
South Hamilton, MA

about 6 weeks after bloom

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

Thank you irisMA.

Your avatar is a beautiful iris!

South Hamilton, MA

It is a miniature tall bearded iris.

Oskaloosa, IA(Zone 5a)

what is the name of the iris you have picured on the top, first one. Kim

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

The first one top row is "Mikey Likes It".

South Hamilton, MA

It is a SDB (standard dwarf iris).

NE, SD(Zone 4b)

That is correct

Oskaloosa, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks kim

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have some that have been dug at different stages this year that have yet to be planted. So I guess this will be an experiment in how late can iris be planted and survive in zone 4B? I once used some fluffy wood shaving packing material ( excelsior?) around late planted special ones, and topped with a large plastic planter once it started to get cold. They did ok as I remember.

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

freezing doesn't seem to hurt the rhizomes, but it will "heave" them out of the ground if they are not "rooted in" yet. Just set a brick, or rock of them, and take it off in early spring. They'll be fine....Arlyn

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the advice, Arlyn

Dallas, TX

The best time to plant rhizomes is in July, August or September. This is also best time to divide and replant irises that have become overcrowded. Plants are normally dormant during the heat of July and August. Be sure to plant at least 4 to 6 weeks before your first hard freeze or killing frost. If roots are established before the end of the growing season, they should survive freezing weather. It's always good to mulch them with a good hardwood, cedar, or whatever type of mulch.

I'm in Zone 8 but I think this advice applies across the board.

Rockette, I love your pictures!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.