ONBB Suggestions List

(Joy) Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

Thought we might offer suggestions for our swap to give our buddies a starting point. This is a challenging swap at its best so perhaps this will help.

I will start:
Old
I am a lover of old things, I think age provides character. Old pitchers or other things for vases, love metal garden art, interesting and odd gadgets. Anything repurposed is pretty cool.

New
I'm easy, our summers are brutal, so sending plants this time of year is dicey. Love homemade foods, chocolate never gets a chance to be old here. Dave was grousing about my sad pot holders and trivets. I love black teas, not much for green or spice.

Borrowed
Love good recipes from others. Books on disc are a fav, mysteries and sci fi. Irises are my new love in plants. Country is my music.

Blue
Like cobalt, navy, not so big on teal, powder blue is cool. Enjoy bluegrass and old time blues. Things out of denim work.

Who's next?

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by rouxcrew
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Old :
I love handmade items for example embroidered pillow cases, crochet doilies. Vintage daffodil bulbs. Vintage postcards of flowers or the holiday like Christmas. Sea shells. Old signs ( handmade the better) . Tea cups. Repurposed stuff. Love buttons and plaid fabric or chenille.
New:
Handmade soaps. Wall art for my fence. flavored coffee,and coffee mugs . Demo mesh for crafts like to make wreaths. Decorative crosses and stars for crafting or to put on my walls. Amaryllis bulbs Bird cages. Bird houses. Apothocary jars.

Borrowed: Magazines and recipes Prints or photographs of nature birds and sea shells. My bathroom is blue and white with birds and sea shells and coral. Old picture frames , and shadow boxes.
Blue:
I love old blues music,and jazz. Americana stuff. Favorite colors of blues are turquiose, blue gray colors or navy and demin. Don't like teal or powder blue.
Glass jars for storage " Ball jar"

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 9:23 PM

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

Old: thrift shop linens (pretty hankies), little pitchers from old cream and sugar sets, an interesting rock, spring bulbs from your garden.

New: plain coffee (not flavored), tea of all kinds, pot holders in blues and yellows, handmade anything. T shirt size is ladies small, slippers are ladies size 9. not: too hot here for plants in July.

Borrowed: seeds from your garden (that's sort of borrowed), bundle of dried herbs like lavender (borrowed from nature),

Blue: dark blue and pale yellow are themes in all my rooms especially kitchen bedroom and master bathroom. Blue Bandanna.

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

I adore your picture, Joy! Which pup is that peeking out and are those Texas Bluebonnets?

OK, now you've gone and done it with a wish list. Well, what the heck. Here are just a few of my favorite things.

OLD -- measuring spoons, kitchen utensils, bowls, dishes, a pottery vessel, a glass vase -- anything glass -- a metal frog for arranging flowers. Your mother's or grandmother's favorite recipe(s), a CD you can burn (anything from Classical to present day music, except rap), Bluegrass music, anything primitive, copper or metal

NEW -- birdhouse, bird feeder, any size flag, jams, jellies, apple butter, jarred candles, soaps, seeds, rugs, spices, a Christmas ornament

BORROWED -- This is always the hardest category for me to figure out. What about magazines, regional cookbooks, a repurposed item, or a Christmas gift that just didn't suit, and can't get enough shells

BLUE -- Texas Bluebonnet seeds, bottles, Salvias, dish or tea towels

Edited to add Bluegrass music.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 10:19 PM

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

OLD: Old recipes, handmade items, beads, crafts, quilts...
NEW: Anything handmade, crafty items, beads, garden items...
Borrowed: Like everyone, this is a hard one, Love old recipes, love old rock and roll music
Blue: I collect angels, especially with any blue in them. Love blue things for the garden. Collecting blue bottles for a bottle tree.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Feb 4, 2015 5:26 AM

Cutlerville, MI

I LOVE anything Old (Antique's are my FAVORITE!) Especially anything that can be re-purposed into something cool in the yard. I love old post cards,& pictures.
Borrowed....bulbs, (no seeds please), plants, recipes anything really.
Blue..I love anything bright blue or tri-colored blue...like...baby blue, than darker blue, than the darkest blue.

Getting SO excited!

Victoria Harbour, ON

No list, enjoy all things especially surprises

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Living, dining, kitchen all big room. Living couch is denium, kitchen has shelf around the top with advertising (some old some new)....so about any color will work. I am pretty much open to anything. Love the outdoors. Currently decorating inside/outside of the garden room (just an over sized shed), and decorating a shed, have a chicken pen that needs something on it. Really I won't be disappointed in anything, I can find a place for it. These are just some suggestions that I borrowed for those before me...rofl.

Old :
handmade items, inside or out . signs ( handmade or otherwise, this can be new or old, decorating the outside of my buildings garden theme) . Flower frogs of any kind, old metal watering cans (they can have holes in them cause they are going outside as decorations) I like gears and things like that old rusty strange things. old recipes with new food (see can get two out of one) Music - old school like late 50's early 60's Old gardening utensils to hang on shed...
New:
Handmade soaps like lavendar, stepping stones. New food rofl...not wild about old food... ;) t-towels always work, kitchen mits, flower pots (old/new/borrowed).
Borrowed: Magazines love gardening magazines, read them over and over, well at least look at the pictures. Love to build stuff for outside so any kind of outdoor book like that.
Blue:
Love love blue hostas. Any kind of 4th decoration. Saw some cool red/white/blue rope lights. Really the blue sky is the limit.... ;) New music - Straight With No Chaser (would probably like anything by them) The Chapin Sisters " A Date with The Everly Brothers", Boys To Men, anything Rythum and blues.

Please please don't feel trapped into my list, these are just things I thought of and I don't have a great imagination...rofl.

Holly Springs, NC(Zone 7b)

Hmmm...I'm really pretty open, but here are a few ideas:

Old: Anything!
New: Please don't spend $$ Anything that comes in that box will be new to me!
Borrowed: Maybe pass along a recipe that someone gave to you. I love to cook!
Blue: Anything!

Not much help, sorry :(

Winnetka, CA

Hello all,

Here I am checking in...

Old.... I love, love, love tiny little Beatrix Potter dishes - especially Mrs. Tiggywinkle, Jeremy Fisher or Jemima Puddleduck! I generally find them on ebay... they work well as spoon rests or tea bag holders... the little 3# round dishes are great for that.....I also love "Old House Gardens" - maybe a gift certificate? Or Lord Balfour hyacinths? Duchesse De Nemours peony? A white madonna lily?

New....I have been hunting for a pretty, tall pink amaryllis........our family is recovering from a house fire... so I need lots of little new things... inexpensive ideas....a good quality can opener ? (amazing what smoke does to things), a small clay pot for my herbs?, a gift certificate for Target or Amazon?

Borrowed....I love to read.... lately I have been buying used books from Abebooks online.... they are often old library books which we all remember borrowing as kids.... maybe a gift certificate from there? Or a nice old clay pot that isn't needed any longer?

Blue.... I love periwinkle blue, or darker sky blue.... Delft blue or sky blue hyacinths from John Scheepers?, soft blue slipper socks? (wear size 9 shoe), I recently found some uber soft bamboo washcloths, but they didn't have any that were blue... my bathroom is a combination of dark sky blue and lavender/periwinkle blue - I try to buy bamboo when I find it as its great for sensitive skin...ice blue clematis?, I really love 'Big Boss' iris from Napa County Iris or maybe 'Blue Suede shoes'? How about a small growing blueberry plant? Sturdy blue garden gloves?

Well... everyone had some great ideas.... this should get the 'proverbial creative juices' flowing!!

Have a great night all... Nancy

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

I love surprises... So anything will do. We just moved in Feb and I have a very lg yard anything to decorate it would be welcomed.
I'm country all the way, music, decor and vintage/antique.
Crafty and re-purposed.
I love the teals and periwinkle.

Not a big reader or mag person. And I make my own jewelry.

Adding another one I did for a swap/
I would love anything if It came from the heart!

Love pink but like most colors Yellow being the least.
Anything Home or garden. Have the hot Texas sun and shade area. Love to garden art.
Anything home made sewn, crafted, cooked, baked, canned...
I love christian and country music.
Love antiques and vintage kitchen and garden.
Love to re-purpose things.
I love my grandkids, I live close to 3 of my granddaughters we bake and do crafts together.
I have 4 dogs that I love and spoil. We just got some chickens hoping for eggs soon. (Now I have 67 chicken..lol) I have OCCD (Obsessive Caine/Chicken Disorder) I guess I have OPD also.
Live on 7 acres, have a large yard that I'm trying to make gardens and decorate. Love weird and strange, unique garden art.
I'm doing my bathroom in tealblue/white and ocean theme.
My kitchen is 1890-1950s items meets modern appliances lol I have a old Hoosier cabinet in the center. So anything in that time would be awesome. Bedrooms will be old cottage style.

This message was edited Jun 26, 2014 6:04 PM

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Old- souvenir spoons, paper weights. there is plenty of stuff in thrift stores that would make me smile.I collect weird animal figures, like a hog on wheels, a kiwi bird made from a gourd,etc.

New-I have big feet and wear a XL shirt. I like yard ornaments , bought and made, sweets ( candy and baked goods).

Borrowed- recipes and goodies you got from someone- give some history, that interests me. A burned CD with 60's music ( I just heard on public TV tonight The Best of Burt Backrack-Wonderful) Somewhere recently I mentioned i like Leonard Cohen

Blue- there are so many blue things it is hard say. I like blues music. blue plants. Blue food--not so much. Blueberries are not really blue when they are cooked. heehee

Gosh, I ain't hard to please!!

Mountain View, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, all.
Don't know if my buddy has already figured out what to send. But in case not, here are some ideas. My apologies for not getting this posted sooner!
I'll let you decide which items would work best for the different categories, and feel free to come up with something that I didn't even think of :) ... but here are some suggestions and a few things to avoid, assuming you haven't already sent your box!
I enjoy crocheting, cooking, baking, and reading (audio books or iBooks, sometimes braille, please no print books as it may or may not scan well). An iTunes gift card would be really cool!
Love chocolate (especially milk or dark, white if there are other flavors to go with it).
homemade goodies and things (but nothing with hot peppers). Scented soaps.
Scented or beeswax candles. Herbal tea (such as chamomile, blueberry, and orange or apple spice).
T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters (size large).
Amaryllises or other flowers that I can grow in containers, especially fragrant ones.
Favorite colors: like them all, but especially purples, greens, and blues.
Other Gift card ideas: Summerwinds Nursery, Home Depot, Michaels, Jo-Ann's.
I love listening to the sounds of nature (such as birds, streams, ocean waves).
Jewelry: I don't wear much. But a necklace (20") or barrettes to wear for special occasions could be nice. Please, no bracelets or earrings; I'd be afraid they'd get caught on something.
DISLIKES:
Shrubs (don't have room). Invasives (I try to avoid these).
Body wash, bath powders, etc.
Foods containing hot spices or olives.
Alcoholic beverages.
Coffee and caffeinated teas.
Headbands (don't fit right).
Garden flags (no where to hang).
Clothing with hoods.
Michelle

Ok my turn,,,
Old: linens, copper cookie cutters, jars, shells, old pen and ink prints of the beach, shoes for mini gardens.

New: windchimes, garden signs, fairies, plants, etc....

Borrowed: hummmm.. books, any music except rap..lol, aprons, garden tools.

Blue: Glass!!! Love love love blue glass..... glass floats, jars, tear drops, paperweights, wine bottles, you get the idea... lol

Hope this helps.

Smiths, AL

Old:
Big t shirts I can sleep in, rusty garden tools, purses, scarves, jewelry, dresses, drift wood,

New:
Socks, fairy furniture, windchimes, froggies, hats, fashion magazines, plants,

Borrowed:
Shiny rocks from friends gardens, mystery books, seeds, snow globes,

Blue:
Pillow, bird houses, fairy, flowers, beads.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Hmmm. New this year, '14.

I like old metal things, esp. for garden. Driftwood, cactus skeletons, other odd bits of wood. Old picture frames, esp. with curves. Large rocks -- but not practical to send!

I like purple, lilac, lavender, violet, and mixed bright colors. Functional birdhouses.

I like ancient music, e.g. 14th century Spanish, and world music.

I like all blues except navy or any with a grey tone in it. Bathroom is periwinkle and coral/salmon.

Please, no scents or body products, or coffee. Don't like yellows except butter (or lemon chiffon!).

I'm pretty easy; please just have fun!

Edit: I like mysteries/detective yarns, esp. if humorous and have female lead.

This message was edited Jun 27, 2014 12:07 AM

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

Will there be a new ONBB swap this year?

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Crystal, Joy just assigned names for the old new borrowed blue swap.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1366141/

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.