TROPICAL PLANTS AND GARDENS #131

Blackshear, GA

Everything just looks beautiful Debra! Sending lots of love and ((((hugs))))!!!!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi, Deb! All your plants are lovely! If you need something i.d.'d just post it, one picture at a time, and we will try to help. We love you!

Debra, all your plants are so beautiful and healthy looking and I'm so sorry about your sister. I know your heart has a very empty spot but continue to think about all the good times you two had together and God will also help with comfort.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh Debra your garden looks wonderful. So glad you are back.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

morning, thought I would wish you all a Blessed day , keep the beautys posted for me..

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Blessings right back to you Debra.

Noid Bilbergia blooming. The color just does not show up, it is really a vibrant red.

Anomally for here, it is usually too warm but this tuberose perservered. Only one bud out of a whole pot of bulbs.

Thumbnail by ardesia Thumbnail by ardesia

oh! u just reminded me of someting Alice, thank you.. somewhere I must find my tuber rose I know it is in one of the barrels.. My bilbergia will prolly bloom when I bring it in.. yours is beautiful..
got 2 of my rain barrels set up today, 2 more to go..
need ID on this vine..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Deb, I believe your vine is from the one I have at the end of my garage, which I believe to be Lavender Trumpet Vine botanically named Clytostoma callistegioides. It has the lavender flowers like the garlic vine.

This message was edited Jul 26, 2013 8:01 AM

Drew, I've been thinking about you and hoping your garden is not underwater. You guys are really getting walloped. I will be in WNC next week and I am fairly certain the road to the cabin we have rented has washed away. The realtor keeps saying no worries but I am thinking we might want to bring our PFD's - just in case. :-(

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

15'' since June 28th to today! Thanks for thinking of us Alice!

A couple of Aroids.

Thumbnail by homer1958

I can almost hear Audrey saying "feed me Seymore". LOL You might need a bigger house next winter to keep those babies warm.

love you giants, wish I could sit amongst them.. so much rain here, and cool, I had to wear a jacket yesterday..
any idea on the 2nd pic? little laterns

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

#2 is really cute - don't know what it is.

#4, hairy balls milkweed - mine died.

good news, I have started another hairy balls successfully in the bog garden. I will send it to you. wondering if #2 is mini turks cap? there were some seeds in my DG stash from one of you of those..last pic is where I sit at night.. the squash, tomatoes, cilantro, sunflowers, morning glorys, peppers, are behind me, my jasmine sambuc is right beside me..3rd pic is what Elaine sent me, 4th pic is the jessimine, starting over, 2nd pic is kopper king, 1st pic is gloriosa lilly popped up prolly from elaine..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

I have not had my spider lillys both white and red show up yet, but naked ladies are popping up.. no show on the peruvian daffodils, and no show on the big dinner plate dahlia yet.. here are some tropical looking photos..
southeast fence, southeast patio, tropical vines and a sunflower being trained to arch down with tropical vines on the other side.. it is a slow process, but the end result is arches of blooms in an outdoor corner for me by end of august.. this is to the north of the patio, snowqueen hibiscus just now starting to bloom again, she got her hair trimmed.. made two more of her with the trimmings, back to kopper king hib, and she has red standing cypress on one side of her..
here is the outside view of my patio wall of tropical and natives combined.. it is almost solid..

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Deb, post your unknown plant on the id forum - maybe someone can help. All your plants/flowers are so pretty!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Deb, everything looks fabulous. That gloriosa does look like one I might have sent you, called 'Wine n Red' and the E ear in the border there is 'Blue Hawaii'.

I have the orange colors going today.
- Hedychium 'Dr Moy' smelling lovely despite being invaded by stink bugs
- clero 'Pagoda' from a cutting from floridabunnie, Thank You! Are you still here?
- Heliconias are twice the size they usually are, thanks to all the rain.
- Never had so many Lobster Claws, either.
- seed pods on a huge Brom stalk - I wonder if they will germinate?

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Blackshear, GA

Love the lobster claw!!! Always wanted one, but it wouldn't do well here.

I love them all, but I think the pagoda is very cool.. I think I have one somewhere LOL can u guys remind me what this is? It bloomed little tiny flowers up above it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Deb, it's Jatropha integerrima (Spicy Jatropha).

I don't think the leaves are right for the J. integerrima, do you think it could be the Jatropha gossypifolia? They have the teeny tiny flowers and leaves are wider, more like what I think Debra is referring to.

Debra, you have so many pretty, lush plants in that picture. Good Growing!

Yes, Alice - that's it! Mine is from a trade and was sent with the name I cited - I will change it to the correct label.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I see a pretty Caladium 'Gingerland' down in the bottom of that picture, too. My favorite.

Everything looks beautiful, Deb. Remember last summer when it was 108 every day and you were moving everything back into the basement about now?

oh yes, last year was horrible, and I am still moving stuff down there, it is supposed to get back hot in August.. that one little plant we can't ID is making little lantern pods now.. so weird.. thought maybe ground cherry>? but it is too tall, .
That caladium stayed in the tub all winter, and as soon as it came out, it popped up.
Beautiful ginger for your avatar, Elaine.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Mm. it's almost the same color as my Hedychium 'Dr Moy' but that one's a canna.

Here's the doctor, going strong. Those babies will bloom off and on - and smell heavenly - until it gets cold now. Fabulous plant.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Fabulous!

Good morning! I want to thank whomever sent me the variegated Ginger (who?)! It is blooming yellow and is so beautiful - thank you! It is pouring rain right now, but when it stops, I'll get a picture and post it.

ohh can't wait to see it!

Thumbnail by joeswife

As promised, a picture of my variegated Ginger:

Thumbnail by KayJones

awww those are beautiful!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Sure looks like 'Dr Moy' to me, Kay. Most of mine don't have quite as much variegation but some do.

Did I send it to you?

Yes, I believe you did send it to me - thank you so much!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Don't forget to go out and have a sniff, they smell glorious. Pretty sure that is my favorite plant in the garden. Nice variegated leaves, pretty flowers, nice scent, easy care, no pest problems . . . what's no to love?

- I finally have a decent picture of Clero. 'Pagoda' with some flowers open.
- love the Heliconias at all stages of bloom (2, 3 & 4)
- dwarf Canna are only 2ft. tall, and have pretty flowers that self-clean. I have a white one with the pink markings like this, too. Hmmm, wonder where it is??

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

I've lost a plant, too! It's in a 8" pot with a bamboo stake in it - I held it in my hands over the weekend and moved it somewhere - cannot find it anywhere! LOL

Livingston, TX(Zone 8b)

Kay Jones, You crack me up.... lol I have done the same thing!

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I've misplaced pots (empty) that . Swear that it must be around and then find it, planted the next day or so.
Is it my imagination or did it get REALLY hot in this past week?
Debi

I spent 10 minutes looking for something the other day and all of a sudden I realized I had forgotten what it was I was looking for. Pitiful!

Quote from ardesia :
I spent 10 minutes looking for something the other day and all of a sudden I realized I had forgotten what it was I was looking for. Pitiful!

oh good, I am not the only one..

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

My DH calls it 'Sometimers' and don't worry we all get it!

Frankly, though I like KayJones' name for it CRS. 'Can't Remember (umm) Stuff'

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

drewsheimers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.