Can they be grown in Fl?

New Port Richey, FL

Got a red select Sat. and need advice. I've heard they are hard to grow here. It's about 3 foot tall and has been grafted. The man I got it from had planted 2 in his yard and they weren't doing well so he let me have this one. It looks healthy so far except for leaf burn on the tips of bottom leaves. He had repotted it into some really heavy mucky soil. After a little research I removed as much soil as I could and repotted in a fast draining mix, no fertilizer and no root pruning. The only shade I have is a small covered area at the front door. It gets morning and afternoon sun and faces north. It's also pretty close to the gulf and windy most of the time. There are few trees in this neighborhood, lots of concrete patios and gravel lawns and it"s always hot. Hotter than I'm used to and I've been in this area all my life. I plan to be out of here before next summer but how do I keep this alive till then? Can it be be kept inside in a room with south and east facing windows that's really bright, or even brought in during the hottest part of the day?

Prattville, AL(Zone 8b)

if that think is shaded you can grow it. florida gets no hotter than Alabama and i'm growing like mad here,

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

You did the right thing by getting it out of the mucky soil as JMs hate to have wet feet. Afternoon sun and hot winds sound like a recipe for disaster though. I've never tried growing a JM indoors but that might be your best bet for keeping it alive for now. Although, when fall comes around you should probably move it outside so that it can go dormant in the winter.

New Port Richey, FL

Thanks for your comments. It looks good so far but I'm not sure it's getting enough light. I have a good grow light I picked up at a yard sale but not sure if that's too much light. I'm stuck in the house today thanks to Tropical storm Andrea so I'll try and do some more research.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.