Perennial suggestions

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

My back yard has lots of shade but does get full sun at noon to about 4:00 pm.

What plants would you experts suggest I plant out there...please and thank you!

For the areas that have true shade I know what I'll plant in those areas but the other areas I'm not sure.

We live in a hundred year old house and I've been working at getting rid of horrible weeds/plants like creeping charlie, hell's bells, rocket something or other (purple bloom), and other obnoxious plants that come with old houses.

Calgary, Canada

With only four hours of sun---I think I would plant shade plants.
Astilbe, Brunnera, Bleeding hearts, Hostas etc.
Iceland poppies, For-Get-Me -Nots, Siberian wallflower.
Impatiens, Mimulus,Begonias.
At least those are plants which do well in shade here in Calgary.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Years ago I tried some of those plants and most fried...those were the years however that we were hitting temps in the high 80's to 100's (we tend to get a lot hotter than Calgary). Maybe I'll try some again (this year would have been perfect for your suggestions I'm thinking however we are still going after nasties that are hiding out in the bushes).

Do you also have some plant suggestions of those that can take more sun then shade lovers but also can handle some shade?

Thank you for the list CLScott (a change of weather may indeed allow them to flourish here).

Calgary, Canada

Delphiniums, lilies,some of the cranesbill geraniums,
Sweet William,

Will think of others----

Caroline

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Have you tried various Heucheras? Many of them like more sun than hostas. And actually hostas like quite a bit of sun, but prefer morning sun to afternoon sun. The key may be in choosing the variety. If you Google "sun-tolerant hostas" you should find a number of lists. It's also possible that a hosta grown elsewhere might sunburn one year but be more acclimated the next.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you ladies! :o) Please keep them coming.

I'll be referring back to this thread next year before I hit the greenhouses! :D

Rosemont, ON(Zone 4a)

I'm not sure if all of the following are hardy for your zone, but these like the growing conditions alongside my house, where they get shade in the morning and varying degrees of sun in the afternoon:
Hosta, white variegated
Thalictrum delavayi
Dicentra spectabilis
Geranium phaeum 'Album'
Geranium macrorrhizum, several varieties
Anemone sylvestris
Tradescantia 'Osprey'
Aquilegia vulgaris
Veronica peduncularis 'Georgia Blue'
Potentilla fruticosa 'Abbotswood'
Convallaria majalis
Aconitum camarum 'Eleanor'
Aconitum fischeri
Tiarella 'Rosalie'
Sanguinaria canadensis
Trillium grandiflorum
Pachysandra procumbens
Sanguisorba obtusa
and an unnamed Polygonatum (Solomon's Seal)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you ever so much June! :o) Earlier I took a peak at your suggestions and the ones above and eyed which ones are currently available at one of our greenhouses. I may break down and purchase some soon (hoping here they have their regular perennial sale).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.