(VGMKY) Gary Millwood

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Our dear friend, Gary Millwood passed away May 29, 2013 in Louisville, KY. He was one of our oldest long-time members, having joined DG on Sept 16th, 2001.
'Papa Gary', as he was affectionately known, graciously shared his knowledge and his seeds with everyone who asked. His special passion was tomatoes and he was one of the most influential people in the state of Kentucky when it came to heirlooms. He was responsible for saving several heirloom varieties from extinction and even when his health was failing, he continued to garden and educate.

Gary was quick to encourage fledgling gardeners and donated his time and knowledge to help them start along the path of heirloom gardening. He was also active in a number of charitable organizations such as the Make A Wish Foundation and the Bellewood Home for Children.

We will miss his cheerful personality and his depth of knowledge here at DG. He was a real treasure and it has been an honor to be his friend.

"The glory of gardening: hands in the dirt, head in the sun, heart with nature. To nurture a garden is to feed not just on the body, but the soul." Alfred Austin

Thumbnail by melody
Lyndonville, NY

I am so sorry to hear of Gary's passing. He was a very knowledgeable and helpful person, and a gentle soul.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm so sad. Gary's one of our "rocks" here at DG, with his generosity & knowledge -- a gentle soul, yes. His tomato seed round robins were a thing of wonder & legend. He spread a lot of sunshine here, and I'm glad we still have the wealth of his postings and of the seeds others are growing and passing along in turn.

I'll think of him often as I'm in my garden this year...

Thumbnail by critterologist
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, dear - I am so sorry to hear of Gary's passing - may his soul always be remembered with fondness.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I was close enough in distance to have taken in the Heirloom "mater days" at Theineman's where he helped start and grow heirloom tomatoes for one of the most prestigeous greenhouses in Jefferson county. I observed him meet people at this event, and he was eager to share his knowledge with one and all. I was amazed at the detail that he gave in his instructions to other new tomato growers. It is a great loss for DG, and for me personally, as Gary was my mentor for many years and gave me the priviledge of growing out some heirloom varieties, saving seed and returning the seed to him. Of course I was the winner on that deal, as I got the summer to taste many different varieties, free of charge. He will be sorely missed.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

So sorry to hear of Gary's passing.....he will be missed.

Northeast, MO(Zone 5b)

Sending my deepest sympathy to Gary's family. He has touched many lives including mine. He will indeed be missed...

Connie

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Gary was a wonderful asset to Dave's Garden, a great educator to those new to gardening and online friendships and always informative. He will be sorely missed.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Oh, My... I shall miss Gary, and his generosity with the many tomato seeds he shared with me over many years.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Oh how sad, he shared recipes and trips with me. I even learned about tomatopaloosa in Raleigh because of him and he always gave me encouragement as I went thru my son's dying with cancer. He will be missed. Prayers and ((((hugs)))) for Vicky n his family.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2013 12:22 PM

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

sorry to hear about this, although i havent been here long, i can tell from everyone else's response that a real gem of a member has left us today, may he rest well.

Oh, I'm so saddened to learn of Gary's passing. He has been such an inspiration to me through my years here at DG. I'll always treasure my chats with him through Dmail and on the phone. I can picture him happily gardening in God's garden tonight.

My prayers and deepest sympathy go out to his family and friends.
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I am sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his posts. My sympathy. Brenda

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Oh, I've just seen this thread...I'm so sorry for our dear Gary! You will be in our hearts forever, dear friend. You've been such an inspiration for so many people, including me. God rest your soul!
My sincere condoleances to the family.

Adina

Verona, ON

I am saddened to read of Gary's passing. He was a gentle, kind man. Bonnie how lucky you were to have him as a mentor. My sincerest condolences to his family. He will be greatly missed here at DG.

Dianne

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I was sorry to hear of Gary's passing. I actually saw it on a blog by a lady from our county ag extension. He had helped her with tomatoes also. He was the first one on DG to send me seeds. It was right after I signed up and he sent me 6 different varieties of yellow heirloom tomatoes. It overwhelmed me that a person who did not know me would be so generous. I have enjoyed those tomatoes so very much and have shared them each year. He was a kind soul and the world is a bit poorer without him.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1335670/

For any who are able to attend, this was posted in the Tomato forum by Carolyn:

Quoting:

Remy posted the following at Tville, and as you can see asked folks to pass it around. She mentioned DG and I offered to post it here.

&&&&&&&

Gary's son asked me to pass this along to people:

Celebration of Life - A Tribute to GARY MILLWOOD

A celebration to honor the life of Gary Millwood will be held Noon, Saturday October 5th, 2013 at Hounz Lane Park picnic pavilion.

Directions can be found here: http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/parks/hounzlane/

In July of 2012, Dad wrote- "I don't like Funerals and never did and don't want one. I do hope that there can be a gathering for a Celebration of Life with some Good Eats and entertainment."

We'll have burgers and condiments and suggest those attending bring a side dish of your choice (heirloom tomatoes always welcome) and whatever you choose to drink. Following lunch, we welcome everyone to share stories.

Although I am posting here, it would be appreciated if some of you might post this in other forums he frequented, like Dave's Garden.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend to mkm.ky.abc@gmail.com so that we can plan for food. We hope to see you there.

Cordially,
The Millwood Family

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1335670/#ixzz2geo2KLvj

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I will miss Gary. He helped me tremendously when I was an UBERnewbie on Dave's. Such a kind and sharing man.

My condolences to the Millwood Family.

Linda

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I knew Gary, had met him in Louisville. He came by the farmers markets a few times and even came to hear my husband speak at a bookstore one time. He would often send me seeds he wanted us to "try out".

He was a special man, who took such good care of his wife....

My heart is sad....

And I'm sad I only just found out :(

Poquoson, VA(Zone 8a)

I never met Gary face to face, but his kindness and willingness to share his knowledge always came through in his posts and his messages. I will miss him. There are too few like him. Blessings and condolences to his family - they will be in my heart and my prayers.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Planting tomatoes today and thought of you my cyber friend

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.