White spots on boxwoods.. Aphids? Please Help!

Portsmouth, RI(Zone 7a)

We have many large boxwoods on our property that have this "dander" type of white stuff which is covering the leaves and flying through the air. Someone has suggested that they are aphids - could this be the case? The trees don't seem to be harmed at this point. We are not sure if we should try to rid the trees of this, or if we should leave them be? Is the problem aphids... or something else? We would appreciate any advice. Thank You.

Thumbnail by rosyvermillion
Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

it's hard to say from the picture? But looks kind of like wooly aphids.
If so, Use Neem oil in a spraybottle or sprayer. ( pick it up at your nursery )
A half thimble of oil to 2 cups of water and a few drops of dish washing liquid.

Mad

Portsmouth, RI(Zone 7a)

Thanks Mad, this sounds like a great remedy- we are going to buy some Neem oil now!

In our research we also came across a malady called 'boxwood psyllid'- which may be the problem as well, do you know if the Neem will work on that too?

Regardless- we are going to give your 'recipe' a try!

Thanks Again!

Rosy V

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

never heard boxwood psyllid' before, but looked them up, it's possible.
My copper plant seems to attract the wooly aphids from time to time.
and this works for it.

Mad

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

'Stuff flying through the air' sounds like White Fly. Sure does not look like it in those pictures, though! Maybe there are 2 problems?
OK, I also looked up Boxwood Psyllid. They can fly, are small, and the nymphs cover themselves with the white stuff you are seeing on the leaves. Sure sounds like this is the answer :-(

http://woodypests.cas.psu.edu/FactSheets/InsectFactSheets/html/Boxwood_Psyllid.html

Neuss, Germany

Yes, i got that problem on my boxwood as well.. this year, i learned to be smart. when i notice the new shoot of my box wood started to curled up, i try to pinch it, to kill the aphid inside. then i don't have that much of time to do it one by one because i have tons of boxwood in my garden, i use brutal method. simple swing my arm onto the boxwood to like you use a baseball bat to chop the top of the boxwood off.. this brutal and violent action of swinging the affected shot will causes them to fall down or drop.. some with mature wing will have to fly away. this violent act from time to time help to discourage and even solve the problem.

:-) try it. if it comes back again, i will try again.. if it doesn't works, i will update you guys.. unless i can't find this thread anymore. :-)
CHEER.

Tuolumne City, CA

I am taking care of my elderly Mom's place in the San Francisco East -Bay Area. She has a Fuji Apple tree that I noticed has this white fuzzy/fluffy fungus looking stuff on it (please see photo). I showed her the photo (she is 92) and her response was "I have seen that before on that tree" (she was quite the gardener in her day) but that was as far as she could go. I don't want to lose her beloved Fuji...any suggestions? It is only on one large branch and shoots on one side of the tree....Thanks!

Thumbnail by TuolumneNick Thumbnail by TuolumneNick
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

The white fluffy spots are mealybugs. Leaves cupped are psyllids. Psyllids are harmless. Mealybugs are not. They can destroy a plant in two or three seasons. The easiest way to get rid of them is to use Merit Tree and Shrub - a soil drench which contains a systemic - imidacloprid. Biologics such as neem oil rarely, if ever, achieve control. Its almost impossible to spray all the tiny crevices where the crawlers hide. The crawler stage is the only stage that can be easily killed. The adults are covered with that impenetrable white wooly, waxy coating. You could try using alcohol on a cotton swab to dry up each and every white fluff you can find. It is necessary to do this daily for several weeks to cover the insects entire lifecycle.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4667014_bugs-aka-woolly-aphids-plants.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.