Lemon Chiffon?

taipei, Taiwan

I've checked the catalog of Rosy Dawn and other information sources, only Lemon Chiffon (http://www.rosydawngardens.com/lemon-chiffon-135.html)grows like the plant. Frankly speaking,I don't know where it is from.

Thumbnail by Yubiker
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi,

Have you tried, in the US, Baker's Acres for coleus. They do a lot with them. I think that they are in Ohio.

Nancy

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The other one I thought of was Ray Rogers who wrote a book about coleus a couple of years ago. ( I was in it. I am the Guinniss World Record holder of the tallest coleus grown. It was 8'4".)

The last contact into I have on him is:

rayo@optonline.net

730-249-9282

Hope this works.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2013 3:48 PM

taipei, Taiwan

Dear Nancy,
I am sorry for not understanding your response very well,because in this thread I only question how this cultivar can be grown from other coleus’ sports without purchasing from outside nurseries. I’ve check Ray Rogers’ book and find that Lemon Chiffon is most similar to this plant, too.
I have also noticed your masterpiece of 8'4" high in Ray Rogers’ book. That is truly magnificent! In Taiwan, most of our coleus cannot sustain for more than 2 years even we don’t have the problem of overwintering.
As regards the US, Baker's Acres for coleus you mentioned, do you mean that they actually created the cultivar of Lemon Chiffon? Or you suggest me to ask them about the origin of this plant?

Yubiker

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I would contact them. They are a lovely family and would more than willing to answer any questions.
Thanks for mentioning my giant coleus.

Good Luck

Nancy

taipei, Taiwan

Dear Nancy,
I am very glad that you can help me to identify some unknown coleus. I had cultivated a lot of seed-grown coleus in Taiwan for many years. The largest one I have met is called as “Salmon Red”, which can grow up to 1 meter high with 30-40 cm foliage before it comes to bloom. Once I thought it was the same plant as what we called as “Kong Salmon Pink “now, but actually Kong Salmon Pink doesn't have so complicated veining on their foliage. Besides, I met these plants in late 1970s; they actually belong to the Rainbow Series according to some reports made by Japanese nurseries.
Maybe I can search my old photos about this old Rainbow Series to show you how different they are.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Dear Yubiker,

Glad to be of help. I agree about the Rainbow Series,; I tried to think of it earlier but my mind was just elsewhere. LOL Have you been able to contact Chris Baker from Baker's Acres. Nice gentleman.

With the temperatures mild to hot here, my coleus normally grow to 4 feet with big leaves. They all think that they are Kongs. Mine have inbred so much over the years, I don't think I have one pure one anymore. I clipped some cuttings last summer in Chicago so I have 4 real ones. One of which I believe is Fishnet Stockings and it rooted like a charm. I put it right in the ground. I don't know the others are.

Let me know if I can do anything else,

Take care,

Nancy

taipei, Taiwan

My father took these pictures in 1977; these plants are all seed-grown type. The tall one in the first photo could be Kong Salmon Pink if it may grow up like this. I have been searching it for many years. Unfortunately, some cultivars (like the Wizard series) may have the same colors, but they cannot grow gigantic leaves with delicate veining.
One of the shortcomings of the Kong series is that they don't have so delicate color changing as other series even though they can grow very large foliage, while this one belonging to the Rainbow series do have both.

Thumbnail by Yubiker Thumbnail by Yubiker Thumbnail by Yubiker
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

HI,

I bought one of the Kongs when they first came out and I was very disappointed. Not only did the leaves get torn in pieces by the wind, but very soon after that it snapped in half. I never bought another one after that.

Sorry, but none of your father's pictures look familiar. I'll keep my eye out for the Kong Pink Salmon for you.

Take care,

Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.