June's Grads, Dads and Orchids

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It is time to begin the June thread. Please post all of your June orchid blooms here. We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310375/.

Let me begin with this large Brassia Rex 'Walomao Spotless FCC/AOS. The flowers are huge and pure yellow.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Moving from screaming yellow to screaming red, this is Epi. Pacific Sizzle 'Flameout' X Pacific Pepper 'Mulligans'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is a primary hybrid Phal. called Phal. Mancervi.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Mcv. Frances Fox 'Sunspots' now seems to be holding her color.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The ribbon winning Grammatophylum scriptum seems none the worse for wear after the show.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Brassavola tuberculata.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The troop of hand puppets are still here. This is Sarcoglottis sceptrodes All of the pretty leaves are gone, just the blooms now. It should leaf out later.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This pretty NOID Phal. wanted to be included.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Gongora smaug (Gon. clavidora X Gon. pterodactyl) is still flying about.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Tampa's own Encyclia tampensis.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Still in the Encyclia corner, Encyclia cordigera, var. rosea is still looking good.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epicatts really do well for me. Here is Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love the colors on this Blc. Hawalian Leopard 'Mai Ling'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc. Golden Tang just keeps pumping out the blooms.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of prolific bloomers, here is Carol's Gerberara Snow Ballet, Florida edition.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Something a little different, Dendrobium antennatum.

Jim

This message was edited Jun 1, 2013 12:01 PM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Psychopsis Mendenhall alba 'Yellow Butterfly' has a new bloom.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

As for ground orchids, the Spathoglottis George Swirl and the yellow Spathoglottis plicata are both blooming.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hanging under the oak tree is Epidendrum radicans.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Last but not least, B. nodosa X C. netrasiri 'waxy' is just opening some new flowers.

That brings you up to date on the OC activity and gets us off to a good start in June. Please join in.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooh, it's so hard to pick a favorite! But I think I'll go with Blc. Hawalian Leopard 'Mai Ling'. You know my love for all cattleyas with Hawaiian names, LOL! That Snow Ballet is great, too. I like the purple spots inside it.

After my hike yesterday, Dad and I went to Worm's Way (www.wormsway.com) and Lowe's. At the meeting last week we had a talk about repotting orchids and the speaker mentioned that Worms Way had those rocks you can grow orchids in (it's actually super heated shale which is pH neutral and inorganic so it won't react with anything.) I got some of the rocks to use as a potting medium since some of my orchids are in medium that's too dense for them and with the summer rains coming I don't want to lose them to rot. Which is why I also got another 3 in 1 organic pesticide, miticide, fungicide. Then, I stocked up on some orchid food since I'm almost out. Oh, and I also got some Physan 20. Does anyone here use it? Lowe's actually had some really pretty dendrobiums, but I held back knowing I've seen better and cheaper before.

The orchids I've bought that were already growing in gravel or rock seem to be doing well so hopefully my new potting medium will work out. I went out this morning and cleaned out the shade house. I trimmed off the dead blooms and such, repotted on orchid and then sprayed everyone down with my new organic 3 in 1 stuff. I heard it's good to rotate products so the bad guys don't become immune to one. While I was inspecting the orchids I did see that one has a sheath coming up on it so that's exciting. I think I'll be getting more sheaths soon but right now a lot of them are just putting out new leaves. Which is also good!

Well, that's my very long update. Now show me your pictures everyone!

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I just noticed I forgot my Maxillaria tenuifolia.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My most expensive orchid acquisition during the recent Redlands trip was a large Schomburgkia tompsoniana in spike from Plantio La Orquidea. There was one in bloom that I fell in love with but it was sold so I opted for this one in spike. Kathy loved it as well but I think she thought it was too big to travel on the plane. Anyway, the flowers began to open yesterday and I hope you like it as much as we did.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooh, look at those colors and frills. I can see why you wanted that one. And at least you didn't have to wait too long for it to bloom. : )

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I really like Schomburgkias.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

I found a few blooming today. Nageliella (Hartwegia) is one you never cut the spikes off of. 10 with buds, bobbing in the breeze. Only 3 are new this year. Very hard to get close ups of

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Then there is a NOID that snuck up on me. The petals are actually very pale lavender. Den. Tuanani only gave me two blooms this year. Paph Wendbourn X rosy dawn bloomed in Jan, so this is an encrore

Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Very pretty, Jim. Hmmm, you seem to be into twisted and kinky lately....LOL!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

My friend fm TX was here last week. She told me she wanted an Orchid so I gave her a piece from Scent of a Woman (Melanie, still plenty left for you). I think the mtdm is by far the easiest to grow & keep in bloom.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm just a wild and crazy guy, Carol. :>) Nice slipper and what I think is a L. purpurata cross.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Jim, L. purpurata makes more sense than C. jennmanii (the closest I have found), because it actually blooms here! I have a hard time with Catts!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Last month, an a cold, rainy day, at the St Augustine Plant sale, a lady was selling Phals for $2. She had no idea what color they would bloom. So I handed her $2 and sloshed thru ankle deep mud and picked up 1 that had buds. She said it would prob be a plain white flower.

This is what I found this AM.............................well worth $2.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is half the Apopka price, Jean. Good buy.

My Enc. Lee Ward (adenocaula X tampensis v. semi-alba) has just opened its first flowers and there are many more to come.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Nice show guys. Carol, nice Den. Tuanani

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

Jim, I think your NOID is the DTPS. I-Hsin Sun Beauty 'KH6758#6. Here is my pic of it. Ken

Thumbnail by drdawg43
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

In the latest Orchid Society newsletter they had an ad about Byrd's Orchids going out of business sale. Anyone who is interested, check out the info below. Byrd's Orchids is located in Lakeland.

Melanie

Invitation to Byrd’s Going Out of Business SALE
June 8 through the 15th (closed Sunday June 9)
 Six inch pot - cattleyas $15 and under
 Four inch pots $7
 Two and a half inch and 3 inch pots $3.50
 Many other items for sale too!
The African Violet Club and Ridge Orchid Society will be there on
Saturday June 8. The orchid society will have hot dogs and hamburgers
for sale. Hope you can make it.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Ken, it could well be but no way of knowing for sure. They produce thousands of these for the cut flower market and the big box stores. The names are not important in such ventures.

Interesting, Melanie. Are you going?

Jim

Starkville, MS(Zone 8a)

OK. Mine came from Carmela Orchids, Hawaii, and it looks exactly like the one you posted.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, the Butterfly Festival is this Saturday at USF Botanical Gardens so I'm definitely going to be there, but I was thinking of maybe going to Byrd's after. It'll depend on how I feel and how much money I have left, LOL!

Melanie

north coast nsw, Australia

Ken- yours looks exactly like Jims Phal and a well know one so it could be.
You have heaps flowering Jim.
All i have flowering at the moment is Blc. Boys Grotto x C. Chocolate Drop. photo was from my phone so sorry it cant be enlarged (i havent worked that out yet) hehe!

This message was edited Jun 5, 2013 6:53 AM

Thumbnail by breeindy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.