Candles on pine trees limp

Garden Valley, ID(Zone 6a)

I planted four pine trees (Pinus flexilis 'Vanderwolf's Pyramid') about a month ago. They're approximately 4 to 5 feet tall. I water once a week per tag instructions. Today I noticed some of the candles on three of them are limp, bent over. Might this be a water problem? Too much? Too little?

Thumbnail by jennadaniels Thumbnail by jennadaniels Thumbnail by jennadaniels Thumbnail by jennadaniels
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They very often do droop a bit in hot sunny weather, even on naturally growing trees. Don't worry for now, they'll likely straighten up when it cools down a bit.

Resin

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Vanderwolf pines are very beautiful, excellent choice. As it gets hotter, it is fairly normal for new growth to droop as the sun takes away the moisture in the stems faster than the plant can replenish. It is nothing to be alarmed about. I would however watch how frequently you are watering it. You should stick your finger in the first couple inches of soil before watering and if there is any moisture on your finger, I would hold off. Too much love can kill sometimes. Good luck :)

Garden Valley, ID(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Resin and Sequoia. It has been a very hot and sunny late spring here. There was quite a bit of moisture in the soil, so I have stopped watering for now. At $79 a tree times four trees, I sure didn't want to lose them.

Sequoia, thanks for the thumbs up on the Vanderwolf. I relocated from Ohio 4 years ago and missed my Eastern White Pines and their soft needles. Lots of garden centers here carry the Austrian Pine, but the needles are so stiff. Then I found these Vanderwolfs, and they're a perfect substitute.

Lititz, PA(Zone 6b)

Yeah for sure. I like the Eastern White Pine as well. We have one although I'd really like to get an Austrian Pine because they are hard to come by here. If you like the soft needles you should check out Pinus densiflora 'Oculus Draconis'. It's needles are similar in shape to the White Pine but they are variegated and very beautiful. We planted one last year and it is performing beautifully so far this spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.