Help! Afraid I'm Going to Lose New Clematis

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Recently planted this Rhapsody clematis. It was doing fine then just wilted. I'm afraid it may have gotten too much water. What should I do to save it? Should I try to dig it up and pot it? Or should I cut it back and leave it in the ground? I don't want to lose this beauty from Brushwood.

Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2 Thumbnail by SBounds2
springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

is your soil very heavy-like clay or does it drain well? If you think it is not draining enough, you should dig it up, dig your hole out about 2 feet across or so and refill it with some compost mixed into your soil or add some potting soil to loosen the dirt. I would not cut it off yet, sometimes they resprout along the vine even if the leaves have fell off.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I had it happen with Lemon Chiffon, which wasn't even newly planted, and cut the affected stems to the ground.

Why not write to Dan and attach a photo and ask his advice? Then you could let the rest of us know what to do and maybe what could have caused it. I wish you good luck with the outcome.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I wouldn't have thought about writing to Dan, but that's a great idea. I'll let you know what I find out.

So, I wrote Dan and he recommended I dig it up, cut it back and put it in a pot with high quality potting soil. He asked me to send pictures of the roots while I had it out. When he received my pictures, he said the roots did not look bad, not much growth, but not a lot of rot, and there were several buds at the crown ready to grow. He suggested I consider a dip of diluted bleach or hydrogen peroxide. What a relief, and what a fantastic resource he is! I can not praise him enough for his prompt and informative responses. We emailed back and forth 3 times, and he replied to my messages within hours each time.

Dan is a treasure and I'm so glad he helped you.

Did you use the diluted bleach or the hydrogen peroxide? Just curious. Thanks.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had that happen to some of mine this year. just a stem or two that all of a sudden wilted. I cut them back and the rest of the plant did fine. Good luck.

Same here.

Ok, now I'm really getting frustrated. I lost my first chatty, or should I say long-winded, reply when I fat-fingered my keyboard just as I was finishing it. Then I lost my succinct reply when I took a break before finishing it.

I used bleach (1 tsp to 1 gal of water) for 1 minute then rinsed it well. Dan said I could use 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water, irrigate it well and not have to remove it from the pot. .

I had the same thing happen to my new Carnaby, so I treated it at the same time. Those babies will spend the summer, or longer, in Pirl's famous self-watering pots from Walmart.

My gorgeous Candida that has been in the ground 3 years suffered wilt, but fortunately I had one healthy stem with buds that was not affected.

We've had heavy rain recently for at least 3 weeks. Would that be causing the wilt? The three affected clematises are in 3 different locations.

Last year I lost a stem on Candida Lanuginosa but this year it was fine and I hadn't given it any treatment. There are major disputes as to what causes it (as well as total wilt). I have never had it happen to more than one in any area and find that so curious. I'll do some checking as to the causes and report back if I find anything of value.

I'm guessing, if they'll spend the summer in pots, that they are young plants. A huge root system would be too crowded in even the largest self-watering pots sold here. Remember to check the water level in those pots!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.