CLOSED: June Bugs, June Brides.....Summer is Near CHAT

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June

June is the sixth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian calendars and one of the four months with a length of 30 days. Ovid provides two etymologies for June's name in his poem concerning the months entitled the Fasti. The first is that the month is named after the Roman goddess Juno, wife of Jupiter and equivalent to the Greek goddess Hera; the second is that the name comes from the Latin word iuniores, meaning "younger ones", as opposed to maiores ("elders") for which the preceding month May may be named (Fasti VI.1–88).

June in the Northern Hemisphere is the seasonal equivalent to December in the Southern Hemisphere and vice versa.

In the Northern hemisphere, the beginning of the meteorological summer is 1 June. In the Southern hemisphere, the beginning of the meteorological winter is 1 June.

At the start of June, the sun rises in the constellation of Taurus; at the end of June, the sun rises in the constellation of Gemini. However, due to the precession of the equinoxes, June begins with the sun in the astrological sign of Gemini, and ends with the sun in the astrological sign of Cancer.

June is known for the large number of marriages that occur over the course of the month. According to one etymology, June is named after Juno (Hera). Juno was the goddess of marriage and a married couple's household, so some consider it good luck to be married in this month.

In Iceland, folklore says that if you bathe naked in the morning dew on the morning of June 24, you are supposed to keep aging at bay for longer.

###############

The 17 year Cicadas are here in full force with the males sounding like a cacophony 'singing' 24 hours a day as they attract females. They emerged from underground in early May. Their exoskeletons can be found on our porches and decks, in our yard, in our driveway, under trees, and clinging to limbs...just about any place you can imagine outside, as are the live bugs that will have a short life with their only quest to breed. They swarm but don't fly well, more on a horizontal path from my observations, and have had them land in my hair and on my body. No telling what the leaves will look like once they've finished eating and breeding and retreat underground for another 17 years. If they haven't already emerged in further NE regions, they will soon.

http://www.cicadamania.com/where.html

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine
Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

In Iceland, folklore says that if you bathe naked in the morning dew on the morning of June 24, you are supposed to keep aging at bay for longer.

Woo-hoo I'm doing this.........................

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Hope everyone has a great time at RU. I loved the poppies, Joyce, I have my very first ones, they are huge giant red ones with black centers, It took a million seeds over the past 5 years to get one plant in the whisky barrell on the patio out back.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

June bride here. No cicadas.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

TY Fruity & I Hope all of you will have a great time also T your RU . Have a safe trip ev1
got to get my trailer set up today

Victoria Harbour, ON

Dropping in with a 'hi'

Fot, having coffee, sitting looking a the many seed packets you sent me and out I go to finally plant..seems mother nature is finally cooperating and frost scare over with..

Thanks again, I'm just so thrilled with the variety.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the new thread Fruity. Enjoy your trip this week end, and give hugs to everyone!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Carol? R U getting married or were you married in June? Joe and I celebrate 35 years the 6th. I have no clue how we made it that far LOL Lots of June Bugs here, great turtle food for our two critters.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Debra, we've been married 45 years. I know what you mean ... sometimes wonder how we made it this long myself. :) I'm amazed when I think of it ... and how old I am! lol.

Blackshear, GA

That's wonderful...both of you. I've been married for 23 years and I have to say, I love him more every day. He's a wonderful husband and father! I think alot of people give up to soon or aren't committed in the beginning like they should be. My husband is be no means perfect, but neither am I, its being able to get past all that stuff and remember the good points.

I have bought so many daylilies the past couple of weeks. I just happened upon two older ladies selling them one day. They are all named and in 1-3 gal containers for $4 each. One I bought, she said she paid over $100 for it. But, regardless, you can;t even buy them at the box stores for $4. These are 3-5 fans. Nice plants.

It's really getting dry down here, but we are supposed to get rain all next week. 50-60% chance all the way through Friday.

Have a great day everyone!

(Chris), IA(Zone 5a)

Wow - I'm jealous of those daylilies! lol... good for you :)

Fruity, I'm sorry to be missing the RU - the kids still talk about the great time they had at the one we attended. Definitely will have to do it again - maybe I'll be able to take little Kailey with me next time! She'll be 4 in Oct - she's a character, let me tell you :)

I haven't said too much about it, but I've been seeing someone for just over a month - I met him over a year ago as he was a neighbor to my son while Shawn was still living in Iowa. Darrell was married at the time with his wife in an Alzheimer's unit - she passed away last year and I had gotten hold of him and told him if he ever wanted to meet and talk, to let me know. Well, we did and hit if off when we had no intention of it at all! He's a very sweet man :)

Anyway, he and another couple (his brother and sister in law) have invited me to go with them on a cruise in late August - it will be an Alaskan cruise lol.. the first week is spent touring parts of Alaska by bus and railroad and the second week will be the actual cruise on Princess Cruise Lines. I'm really excited as I've never been to Alaska before!

Better get to bed - have a great weekend. Hope those in Oklahoma are safe - another one hit OKC tonight. And the terrible news out of Houston with the 4 firefighters killed while fighting a fire.. so horrible!!

Chris, I am so happy to hear you met someone! Wishing you all the best!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Wow Chris! That's shocking and exciting news! :D

Thanks for sharing.

Omigoodness Fruity and Elfie and Goober and Gryphon wore us out this weekend but somehow I felt like I was on vacation, I was enjoying myself so much.

Good to check back in, but I'll be trying to cAtch up on my regular day to day stuff and to get all these plants on the ground. Holy cow! My front porch and back yard are starting g to look like I own a landscaping company. :)

OK Ya All better have some Pictures for us

Here are a few of OUR SWAP This weekend

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293309/
http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/Sue_Kohler/library/2013 PL...
sort=3&page=1

hope it comes in for ya or anyone on FB can go here or look for sue kohler in Hastings MI

[HYPERLINK@www.facebook.com] its sue Kohler Hastings Mi I can befriend you :) hehe
let me know if ya can't get in .
have a great eve all to rest .

DJ9'S JULY IRIS SWAP IS OPEN FOR SIGN UP

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1316031/

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Debra those poppies are beautiful.....wow red ones....had to laugh on how many seeds, I think it was the same for my Mom rofl, everytime she would come up she would throw down more seeds, and then finally they started.

Wow that was wonderful bargins on those daylilies. I stumbled across someone like that one time, but they just had a few varieties, I would of been broke for sure if I had found that many for that price...wow!

A trip to Alaska would be amazing for sure, I would love to see the countryside.

I either didn't have time or take time to snap a single dang pic of the group or the running around we did. You and so many right here were missed, Chris. When I lived in CA, I always wanted to go on an Alaskan cruise. Have a wonderful time, girl. It does my heart good to know you've found a sweet man.

Our mail lady just booked a cruise to the Bahamas in late August and asked this morning if I wanted to go. Nope. I'm saving for a trip to visit my SIL in Fort Worth, or better yet meet her in New Orleans, but you can bet your sweet bippy that won't happen ever in August.

This morning I got most everything planted from this week-end and finally from our VA RU. It got old watering the batch of plants in pots and worrying if they would make it. Manda, the Oenothera speciosa (pink buttercups) you gave me at our VA RU have started to bloom. It was a surprise to see one this morning, but then again, the pot had been living on our side porch, under the upstairs deck. Maybe that mimicked evenings?

What a nice score on the Daylilies, Paula. How are the ones I sent you last year doing? Mid-June should be heyday here with a myriad of Daylilies blooming.

Will check out your photos next, Susie. You always run a super fun organized Plants-In-The-Park swap.

I intended to update each day in June with a tidbit and am behind since I was gone over the week-end.

June 1st: The International Children's Day is said to have originated in turkey in 1920 (April 23) and later in Geneva, Switzerland in 1925. Children's day was a coincidence that two very important events took place on 1st June 1925. The first was the World Conference for the Well-being of Children in Geneva and at the same time the Chinese consul-general in San Francisco gathered a number of Chinese orphans to celebrate the Dragon Boat Festival. Since both these incidents had the idea of child welfare at their core, 1st of June began to be celebrated as International children's day thereafter but it were largely restricted to the communist countries and continue to be restricted, even after the atrophying of communism. There is often little public awareness of International children's day in the western world and the central Asian continent.

June 2nd -- National Butterfly Awareness Day 2013
The main purpose of National Butterfly Awareness Day is to raise peoples’ awareness of butterflies and their importance as pollinators and their place in nature. To accomplish the importance of this day, the first Saturday of June is declared as National Butterfly Awareness Day by the Association For Butterflies. It works for the wellbeing of butterflies through conservation, research, and promotion of butterfly gardening and butterfly farmers. This day is set aside for all people throughout the United States to celebrate butterflies.
Today I planted two butterfly bushes from Bluestone Perennials and the Tropical Milkweed seedlings Manda gave me.

June 2nd -- National Cancer Survivors Day 2013
National Cancer Survivors Day is an annual, worldwide commemoration of life that is conducted in hundreds of communities across the United States, Canada, and other countries. Participants in this event exhibit the world that life after cancer detection also can be full of life and meaningful. This is the NCSD's 26th year.
Debra, this made me think of Sherry and the fight she has fought so valiantly, and continues to.

June 3rd -- Yesterday would have been my Dad's 95th birthday. I continue to celebrate his life daily since his death in 1997. He and my Mom were married just shy of 59 years. They were truly the love of each other's lives. Among so many life lessons he passed to me include his love of veggie gardening, hardy belly laughs, and living in the moment. When he took his last breath, my Mom was holding one hand and I was holding his other one.

June 4th -- World Naturist Day 2013 in the United Kingdom -- This day is in observance of Naturists who are social activists and celebrate this day in order to find a more sociable, uplifting, liberating lifestyle. World naturists also invite others to understand their view of naturism. These folks practice public nudism in order to uplift self-respect, respect to other people and to the environment. Naturists believe in cloth-free environment in a right ambience along with like minded people around them.
Oh my! A day definitely not for the faint of heart.

June 5th -- World Environment Day -- 2013 theme is "Think. Eat. Save.". Our environment is the future of our world. If it is not healthy, then we can not think of taking a breath of peace.

Oh Fruity I am so glad you did the catch up on the days.....those were amazingand I know you all had a great time if you forgot to take pictures...rofl.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

June 5th - I became a grandma again!
Little Lalania was born this morning via all natural means at 6:30 AM.
Momma and baby are doing great . . . grandma can't wait to get her hands on her!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Congratulations, dee ... that is very good news! You must post a photo when you can. :)

Congrats on the new Granddaughter! How many does this make?

congrats dee

You have to be beaming from ear to ear, Dee, and rightly so :) That little girl gardening buddy you've mentioned before will soon have a helper. Big congrats!

June 6 -- On this day in 1944, Supreme Allied Commander General Dwight D. Eisenhower gave the go-ahead for the largest amphibious military operation in history: Operation Overlord, code named D-Day, the Allied invasion of northern France. The National D-Day Memorial is located in Bedford County, VA, which is a neighboring County, and the Monument itself is appropriately named Overlord. The town of Bedford suffered the highest per capita D-Day losses in our Nation. There are honorary signs on State Route Highway 29 today that call attention to it being the "29th Infantry Division Memorial Highway".
http://www.dday.org/

How many of your relatives were Veterans of WWII? My Dad was a Cook on a tiny ship in the Pacific for 18 months and apparently had such great night vision he doubled in the wee hours as a lookout. He didn't talk much about his service but do remember him mentioning how seasick he stayed the whole time. Not so good for a cook!

June 7, 1953 - Boston, MA -- The 1st color network telecast was broadcast. That opens a whole 'nother can of worms about when each of us saw our first color TV show. I honestly don't remember unless it was cartoons. Way back when, we had a black and white set with rabbit ears. I still remember watching the Beatles appearance on the Ed Sullivan show, in black and white, along with several Apollo Moon landings.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Still watching tv with rabbit ears her on occasion. Some things things never change.

My grandpappy was a crew chief on a B17 bomber in the Korean war. I have always been in awe of what happened at Normandy.

Edited to correct the plane Pappy was on. B17 not B52.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2013 12:21 AM

My Dad was in WWII in the Pacific. He never talked abt it either but died in 1969 so I never got a chance to ask anything to young. I did send off for a copy of his service records. He was a marine and sailed all over the Pacific. Got malaria went to Hawaii to recoop and then went back and fought a while longer.

My Grandfather served in the navy! He too never spoke of his time in active duty!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

My father saw action in Italy and in North Africa during Rommel's Africa Campaign. I still have the little doll purse he brought me from Italy.

anyone here tell me what this plant is Still a very cool morning here I just want to crawl back in bed but i have to much to do this weekend .

not sure how much i will get done with a sprained wrist typing with right hand only Not Easy
ya all have a great day .

Thumbnail by deejay9

What did you do to your wrist?
Looks like phlox?

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Oh I missed the D-day chat! My dad was a navigator on a B52. However he never saw action, he spent his whole time in the military training - first learning Celestial navigation and then "radar" was invented and he learned that. He did however fly several "missions" to Cuba to bring back booze for the officers!

The new baby is sooo sweet, it always amazes me how soft their skin is. Little Nat is so excited to be big sister, finally there is someone smaller than her around!

Susie mentioned the weather, it has been so nice here I have been spending all day in the garden. I'm trying to get everything weeded and ready for Summer, when it just gets too hot to hang out in the front yard. I've also gone fountain crazed, I'm making a 19" cement ball with a tube in it for a fountain, more like a bubbler really.
Then I'm going to set it in an old rubber animal waterer filled with large black rocks and of course water.

Sorry to here about the wrist Susie, I thought I'd hurt mine the other day just leaning on it for too long while weeding. I was so glad I hadn't, a sprained wrist will slow you down. It hurts when you type - that's a pretty bad injury.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Phlox or some kind of stock?

(Crystal) Waverly, AL

It seems many people who were in the WW2 Pacific arena never had much to say about it.I suppose it was just too bad

Oh doma I would love to see pics of what u are doing.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

happ - you asked for it. This is my last project, just finished it up last week. The leaves are cast from a Gunnera leaf with Tufa cement, the largest leaf is about 30" across. The birds are all interested in this. It's so fun to watch them approach it and check it out. I'm thinking I should sponge a little green paint on the edges to look like moss.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

The fountain is very creative! I really like that.

Mad

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very nice, dome. How long did it take you to make the fountain?

Nice fountain Dee I Have a Tufa cement, Leaf that a gardening friend made it is so neat i just use it as a bird bath outside have to keep it filled with fresh water for them.

another very cold morning so will be awhile before i go out side . think i will crawl back under the covers :)
ya all a great day

WOW! That fountain is beautiful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.