Bird "clutter"

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I think I have a problem. No, I know I do.
We have our birdfeeders just off our deck, just outside our kitchen window, because DH and I love watching the birds.
Unbeknownst to me (hmmm that's not quite right either, I didn't think to notice), the "empty shells" and "rejects" have been piling up "the kitchen floor" if you will, "under the table." and I DO mean PILES. holy moly.... what's not growing is just piling and piling into a squishy, smelly MESS.

I don't even know how to tackle this mess now. I'm sure I need to take pictures so you can see what I'm up against.
In the meantime, picture this: from the house out to the yard, along side the end of the deck just under the kitchen window:
big black square compost bin. asparagus fern. ginger. Gardenia on the corner. one of the bird feeders hangs just a little off center the asparagus fern.
directly under the window, to the left of the compost bin: the water faucet.

i noticed Monday, when i was mowing that there are now a LOT of weeds all around from the water faucet over to the Gardenia.
i'm thinking i need to start by spraying what i can with Round-Up. once dead, at least the weeds will come out easy enough.
then for the big PILE under the feeder. ugh. rake? no, small bits. shovel? sigh... what a job.

plan is: AFTER i get it all cleaned up... maybe put something under it to catch the seeds & shells, and then take them someplace to dump, or bag, or something.

anyone else have this problem??? i need help!

This thread has 75 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!