Some current natives in my Northern Virginia yard.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Anemone virginiana
Monarda bradburiana
Penstemon pallidus
Penstemon canescens
Porteranthus (Gillenia) trifoliata

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Great pics. Thanks for showing the Porteranthus. I just returned from our cabin in western NC where I saw a few (one quite large up in the woods) which I wanted to ID.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Many of our ferns have really exploded lately. Our Northern Maidenhair is a exception, slow to get up and go.
Cinnamon - Osmunda cinnamomea
Maidenhair - Adiantum pedatum
Christmas - Polystichum acrostichoides
Marginal Wood - Dryopteris marginalis
Sensitive - Onoclea sensibilis

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

More blooms:
Polygonatum biflorum var. commutatum
Oenothera speciosa
Penstemon hirsutus
Penstemon calycosus
Arisaema triphyllum

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks again for sharing your beauties, and for the ID's. I know some of them but I this is a great way to learn.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I second back40bean's comment.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

thanks greethumb99!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice!

Also confirms that what someone sent in trade last season turned out not to be M. bradburiana (sp?).

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

More ferns:
Ostrich Fern - Matteuccia struthiopteris
Broadleaf Grape Fern - Botrychium multifidum
Ebony Spleenwort - Asplenium platyneuron
Red Lady Fern - Athyrium flix-femina var. angustum
Dixie Wood Fern - Dryopteris australis

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Harebell - Campanula rotundifolia
Downy Wood Mint - Blephilia ciliata
Rocky Mountai Penstemon - Penstemon strictus
Waxyleaf Meadow Rue - Thalictrum revolutum
Tall Meadow Rue - Thalictrum dasycarpum

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Starflower - Trientalis borealis
Green Dragon - Arisaema dracontium
Penstemon mexicali 'Red Rocks'
Noid Penstemon
Fern Leaf Bleeding Heart - Dicentra eximia

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Purple Milkweed - Asclepias purpurascens
Hyssop Skullcap - Scutellaria laterifolia
Heartleaf Skullcap - Scutellaria ovata
Scutellaria ovata versicolor
Indian Pipes - Monotropa uniflora

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Squawroot - Conopholis americana
White Wand Penstemon - Penstemon tubaeflorus
White Milkweed - Asclepias perennis
Elderberry - Sambucus nigra canadensis
Long-Leaved Bluets - Houstonia longifolia

What a wonderful garden, greenthumb!
I 'discovered' something new in my garden- figure if I wait a bit you will post a picture of it- something minty you probably gave me -Have to go get a picture..And thx for reminding me to watch my budding Anemone viginiana

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have some of those but not nearly all of them. Really like the Harebell and all the Penstemons. Cool Indian Pipes too. :)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't understand why native Penstemons are not more widely seen in gardens. Many attractive species, nice displays, and require no care once established. Indian Pipe, Squawroot, Hyssop Skullcap, and Long-Leaved Bluets are all volunteers.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I don't know either. I have several Penstemons. They are indeed easy care. Great that you get so many volunteers. I am at the edge of woods but haven't gotten that many good volunteers. I hope I will.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

greenthumb, how in the world do you keep all your plants identified? I don't see labels on any of your beautiful posts!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Most plants start out with a label somewhere near them, thought eventually many become illegible, hidden, or lost. Many of the natives I have ID'd often enough I know them by sight. Major exceptions are Penstemons, Skullcaps, and many of the ferns.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I think of you as a walking encyclopedia. Just saying.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

greenthumb99, I wonder if you are familiar with this. There is lots of it along a stream by our cabin in western NC. I think it must be a thalictrum but I can't figure which one. I haven't seen one get more than about 12" tall. These are the best pics I have and they will be finished blooming when we return. This plant is here in GA, wish I had pics of the NC ones. Thanks

Thumbnail by back40bean Thumbnail by back40bean
Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Pretty sure it is a Thalictrum, possibly Thalictrum clavatum, an uncomon, little written about Thalictrum that occurs primarily in the southern Appalachians. No plant file for it. Hope this is of some help.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much! That has to be it. How exciting. You've made my day.

I meant to give you some of the baby Verbascum I sprouted from your seed. V blattaria?? They're looking happy, small but growing.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Latest in bloom.
Hairy Wood Mint - Blephilia hirsuta
Queen Anne's Lace - Daucus carota
Speedwell - Veronica longifolia
Catnip - Nepeta cateria
Butterflyweed - Asclepias tuberosum

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Lemon Bee Balm - Monarda citriodora
White Vervain - Verbena urticifloia
Bee Balm - Monarda didyma 'Blue Stockings'
Black Cohosh - Cimicifugia (Actaea) racemosa
Enchanter's Nightshade - Circacea quadrisulcata. Not much to see, but with that name, must have.:-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Lovely, thanks for sharing. I have a single nightshade that comes up in the same spot every year, and we let it stay because it is so enchanting. ;)

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Spotted Wintergreen - Chimaphilia maculata
Slender Mt. Mint - Pycnanthemum tenuifolium
Tall Bellflower - Campanulastrum american
White Bergamot - Monarda clinopodia
Obedient Plant - Physostegia virginiana 'Miss Manners'

you have an amazing array...
My purple Obedient Plant won't flower till September---?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice. I should trudge out back and see if my Slender Mountain Mint is blooming. But it's so wet I don't that's going to happen anytime today.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

I've got massive Native envy.... great looking natives ya've got there!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Echinacea purpurea 'White Swan'
No ID Daisy
Spotted Bee Balm - Monarda punctata
SnowyCampion - Silene stellata
Lopseed - Phryma leptostachya

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I went for a drive into the backwoods here in KY and not only did I see some beautiful sights, but I saw my first, up close, look at snapping turtle. It was in the road and I stopped to remove it. I did not know turtles could move that fast!! It RAN to the side of the road and into the brush. Amazing!! I saw lots of wild flowers and found one that really turned me on. Now I know that it is Anemone virginiana. I carefully brought on home with me and it is doing well in a pot. I would like to enclude native wildflowers in my garden. So keep posting pictures of them so I know what I am looking at. I found a book Ä Field Guide to Trees and Shrubs" by George A. Petrides and am now looking for one to help me ID wildflowers.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Marti. Glad to hear you are back in the garden.

Careful about pulling plants from the wild. There are laws against it (!)(crazy lawyers) in most states, and you never know whose property you might be on.

I hope the anemone does well for you. I tried to start it from seed last year, sure is pretty.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I was on my friends property and they said I can take whatever I want. I am taking pictures of things that I want than trying to check them against the list of protected wildflowers. I know somethings are rare and hard to find. My friends have a lot of the Anemone on their property and I just took 1.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice to have friends with wildflowers!

I used to run with a group that did plan rescues on property slated for construction. One lady did all the legwork to get permission to enter. Boy, we'd come away with some neat stuff. Found a native hydrangea several years back. One man collected ginger and used to ship it far and wide to other folks interested in natives.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Good to "see" you again, marti. She's one of the few DGers I've actually gotten to meet in person. Nice lady. :) You brought daffodils, white violets, elderberry bushes, and I think gojiberry? Or was it the purple Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana)? Anyway, we had breakfast and gabbed a lot, and then you were on your way to CA. I'm happy to report that everything you gave me is still growing and doing well.

greenthumb- the Allium cernuum is 'nodding' in my garden today, and about to bloom
; ^)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, I'm back in KY. Did not work out for me with my DIL. I'm having to start my garden out here all over as it was not taken care off while I was gone. I lost a few roses, but brought 12 back to replace them.
I am glad everything I gave you is doing well. I'm watching the elderberry bushes here and will be picking berries soon. Plus I started some cuttings for my own yard. My sister passed away in Jan and now I'm alone and trying to remodel this old trailer as it is now mine. I've got a couple of friends helping and we are replacing some of the livingroom floor as it is rotted in a couple of places. Once that is done than we will close off the livingroom and turn it into a sewing and craft room for me. That way I can keep the cats out of my things. I've got one that think's its her business to clean off tables, shelves whatever, that she wants to lie down on. She's going to be pissed off when she can't get into my craft room. LOL!!

Amanada, I rescued a native hydrangea also. Actually 2 of them off a piece of property were they starting construction. One of them is in the ground and is getting huge. The other is in a pot and will soon be in the ground.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Went with some friends to help clean out a house that no one wanted anything in there. The lady had died and her kids were throwing everything out in a dumpster. I found a book I had been wanting. "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers" Eastern Region. Saved me alot of money because now I don't have to buy the book. I've been looking thru it and will take it into the field with me to help me ID wildflowers.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.