Advice and ID please?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I've tried several times to grow clematis, with little success. Got one coming back up after painter's took it out--at the house I'm selling! It's never bloomed yet, however, so I don't know that I could call that one a success. BUT...I just bought this one on the "help me help me" rack at a big box store--I should know better, but can never resist--and it has no tag. I've even researched the grower trying to find what clematis they sell, but it's a wholesale site and allows me no access.

The bloom is only 3" at the widest point, and it's more of a lilac purple than the blue-ish tone in this photo. There is evidence of several previous blooms on the plant, but this bloom is the only one on it at the moment.

Essentially, I'd like to know what it is and where best to put it--we're in zone 8b with super hot South TX summers, a decently draining neutral soil, and moderate wind.

Please advise? Thank you in advance!
Jan

Thumbnail by TexasDollie
Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Anyone? Anyone?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

My apologies for missing your post.

I think it's Crystal Fountain. Here's a photo of one of mine so you can compare.

Since I don't live in your zone and have no experience with gardening there, I'd give it some afternoon shade during the hottest hours.

Thumbnail by pirl
Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Thank you Pirl...I've seen your name bandied about on other threads as the The One to contact about it...and hoped you'd weigh in. :~D Thank you! I've wondered if it was indeed Crystal Fountain, having perused this site and vendor sites for hours trying to find the closest match. I've got just the place for this one, I think. Wish me luck! And thanks again.

You are welcome. I've been working outside after dinner and only got back inside at almost 9:30 last night and 8:30 the night before (with outdoor lights on) so I simply missed your post.

Many clem's in blue and purple can be confusing for an ID but Crystal Fountain is easier to spot.

Remember to plant deeply and add bone meal, manure, compost and then put 3" of mulch on top to keep the roots cool. Good luck! Please report back and let us know about your success.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

What...you mean you don't live sitting at your computer, just waiting to answer questions from new-bees? :~P I am indeed now aware that there are MANY blue and purple clematis. The search was not in vain, because I have learned to actually LOOK at them, for distinguishing details. The only problem now is that I want them. All of them. And all the roses, and all the iris, and.... oh boy.

Have a fabulous weekend!

It's now 88.6 with a "feels like" 95 and I'm in from sorting dahlias held over the winter to enjoy the AC until I face finishing the job and getting them planted on Sunday when it is supposed to be around 70 degrees.

I do love helping newbies though I am an oldbee in many senses. It's easy to be lustful for clem's, roses and irises! I'm sure we had a thread about our favorite clem's and if I find it I'll post a link for you. A lot depends on your favorite colors.

It's somewhat obvious that Omoshiro is my absolute favorite but there are so many beauties that there's no need to select just a few as long as you have the room to grow them. In many cases pruning is optional.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's an article on pruning by Hummingbird Farms:
http://hummingbirdfarm.net/clematis_pruning.htm

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

That article is reassuring, even if I'm not in The Frozen North. :~) I love the way they classify everything, too...useful!

I really do enjoy that site though I've never ordered from them. I'd love to visit but that could be another problem!

Where is Windcrest in relation to Austin?

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

Windcrest is a "city" attached to the East / Northeast of San Antonio, which is about two hours Southwest of Austin, down Interstate 35. So Austin is a tiny bit cooler than we are, and gets a few more frosty days in winter, but they're fairly similar climate wise.

We visited Texas for two weeks in 2003 - the worst two weeks of weather for Texans! We stayed in San Marcos, froze in Austin and made it down to San Antonio for a long walk and a lovely lunch on the Riverwalk. I35 was all ice, accidents and backed up traffic due to the weather during the first week. We did love our sunny day in Lukenbach! We really enjoyed the hill country the BBQ places and the people were as friendly as could be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.