Clematis Festoon, Avant-garde's blooms.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So they've said that "First year it sleeps, 2nd year it creeps, then 3rd year it leaps". That really applied to my AG clem. after all this time, it finally yielded its first blooms for me. We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1166841/

The first two pics. are that of AG clem. the next 3 are those of Jackmanii, Niobe, and Fransica Marie (I think).

This message was edited May 28, 2013 7:49 PM

This message was edited May 28, 2013 7:50 PM

Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love Thumbnail by Lily_love
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine is growing nice this year, but so far no blooms. I found my other one that I thought had died. It came back on its own this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed for some blooms.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Marie, it's nice to see you. Hang in there, AG does indeed require more sun exposure to produce flowers. I'm glad I've moved it to this new location where it gets plenty of sun light all through the day.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

I got buds. Oh my gosh, I got buds. I am so excited. As soon as it blooms I will post pics. # years from a little plug. I have never babied a clem like I have done this one. I guess because it is such an unusual one that you cant just buy at the store or nursery.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoohooo! Congrats Marie. I especially like this one for its color and delicate leaves. So all the TLC you've given the clem.; it's time it rewards you with the blooms. Good job!

This message was edited Jun 3, 2013 10:25 AM

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

My AG clem. continues to shine. I'm looking forward to your pics. Marie.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This is the pic. I meant to send on last posting.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

WOW!,, I cant wait. The blooms look like crepe paper. I have one blooming now in purple that the blooms look like that. Thanks for sharing a pic of our babie...lol

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The color looks very much like this cactus blossom. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Marie/Kim

I am wondering if AG is doing better for both of you because you are in warmer zones than I am in. AG was so weak for me.

Kim - love the Ric Rac flower. I think mine is working on it. If it is, then this will be the first time RR has flowered for me.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Carolyn, thanks. Best of lucks with your RR, I believe the cool period in the spring does trigger the RR to form flower buds. Look!: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315282/

As far as AG in warmer zone? I am not sure, however, I'm very sure that full sun does help AG to send out blossoms. Remember mine took almost 3 years before it made flowers.

Athens, PA

Kim

Time will tell - my little buds are smaller than what you have shown in your photos. Love the thread though.

I babied AG for several years and it just never reappeared for me. I don't think the zone 5b is helping AG any.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

My AG is still creeping even though it's year 3.Maybe I have to move it too. I am enjoying seeing yours! Congrats!

I find it to be a much more fragile Clem. Smaller leaves and stems. # years here of babying mine, but they were only a plugs when I got them. I will never buy a Clem that young again.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

bananna18, thanks and best of lucks with yours. It's a challenge to offer our plants sunlight in our Zones, for the summer sun ray could heat up pretty stout. Marie, I agreed, AG is especial fragile and delicate in form, not unlike most hybrid clematis. Enjoy 'em while we can.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

That makes me feel better!

I had dug mine up after the first year, and put it in a pot. I moved it all around to see where it did the best. While in the pot I pinched it back constantly to get it to make a better root system. When I took it out of the pot last fall to plant, the roots were great. Then I planted it.

Here she is. I am one Happy Camper.

Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Marie, you've done a fine, fine job on nuturing this clem. Your photos do a correct representation of the delicate appearance of the leaves which are smaller than the average hybrid clem. Great job! And look at those buds yet to open. It's worth the wait.

thank you

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Here comes! My AG clem. is making new buds, it's going to reward me with its repeat blossoms. The buds as Marie knows 'em, they're quite small. I'll post pics. when they open up. We've had a few over cast days, and the temp. has been pleasant in the 70'ish. Not as hot as it'd have been on the average.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

My second one that I thought I had lost is blooming for me. I am one happy camper. I paid 12.00 each for these as plugs 3 years ago. The blooms are so different from other clems . That is what I like.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I agreed, these clem. is a bit pricey but it's worth it. I too am pleased with mine. Mine currently intertwined with my lemon tree. So it's hard to separate them. But, I've another hybrid clem. to compare to AG's. Look.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.