Gardening by the Moon, Calendar for June 2013

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 2013 Biodynamic system

One of the element in Biodynamic, is the planting calendar, which has to do with the cosmic timing of activities in the garden, much of the timing for work to be carried out according to the biodynamic system is to do with the movement of the moon through the Zodiac.

June 1st.

Flower day
Sign Aquarius
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes.
Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Kohl Rabi, Onions ….

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Farmer's Almanac June 2013

1st-2nd Favorable Time For Planting Late Root Crops. Also Good For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.

3rd-5th Cut Hay Or Do Plowing On These Barren Days.

6th-7th Good Days For Planting Root Crops And For Transplanting.

8th-9th Seeds Planted Now Tend To Rot In The Ground.

10th-11th Plant Tomatoes, Beans, Peppers, Corn, Cotton, And Other Aboveground Crops On These Most Fruitful Days. Plant Seedbeds And Flower Gardens.

12th-15th Poor Period For Planting. Kill Plant Pests, Clear Fencerows, Clear Land.

16th-18th Favorable For Planting Peas, Beans, Tomatoes, And Other Fall Crops Bearing Yield Aboveground. Sow Grains And Forage Crops. Plant Flowers.

19th-20th Extra Good For Planting Fall Lettuce, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Collards, And Other Leafy Vegetables. All Aboveground Crops Planted Now Will Do Well. Plant Seedbeds.

21st-22nd Poor Planting Days. Cut Hay Or Do General Farm Work.

23rd-25th Plant Late Beets, Potatoes, Onions, Carrots, And Other Root Crops.

26th-27th Poor Days For Planting. Kill Plant Pests, Spray, Fertilize, Do General Farm Work.

28th-30th Favorable Time For Planting Late Root Crops. Also Good For Vine Crops. Set Strawberry Plants. Good Days For Transplanting.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 2 - 3 - 4

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon Last quarter

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only, weeding, cultivating and checking or building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard. Do not sow Fruit plants Aubergines, Cucumber, French Beans, Marrow, Peas ...

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This is the best sign for planting soft fruit, also under this Moon and sign the plants have a maximum water intake, and Pisces promotes root growth.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 5 - 6

Fruit day
Sign Aries
Moon Waning crescent

Synodic:
Garden maintenance only, weeding, cultivating and checking or building a new compost heap.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aries: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Cucumber, French Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Runner Beans,Squash,Sweetcorn,Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard.

Sidereal:
Moon in Aries: Dry and barren. Good time for garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 7 - 8 - 9

Root day
Sign Taurus
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber and Grains. Vegetables harvest will store well.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Taurus: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips. Do not sow Flower plants: Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes. Fruits harvested now will store for longer.

Sidereal:
Moon in Taurus: This is a good time to sow Root vegetable.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2013 3:58 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

I will start sharing some of what I know of Biodynamic,

I have been following this for a long time and it has work well for me. I do try to continue recording what I do in my garden journal which is a simple exercise book where I keep track of what I do in the garden, when I start what seeds, garden beds, when I weed, when I get my first and last harvests of different things, day of first freeze and pretty much anything I may want to remember.

in 1924 Austrian philosopher Rudolph Steiner came up with the term Biodynamics when he said that there was more to growing productively than planting and harvesting. He gave in 1924 a series of lectures, he concluded that disease problems, pests and a reduction in soil fertility were due to the use of artificial fertilizers and pesticides. Since then, the work has continued and the Biodynamic movement has followers around the world. They believe that the Earth is ailing and requires more than just organic means to be healed. A holistic approach is needed that includes spiritual and cosmic forces along with the use of Preparations to enhance the growing conditions, it is thought that the 'life-forces' which give the Earth its vitality are driven by a number of sources.

The Moon reflects light and has a gravitational effect on the Earth. Steiner proposed that this affects plant growth, so much so that the gravitational pull varies throughout its 28 day cycle. As the Moon orbits, it collects energy from the sun, the planets and the stars which it transmits to the Earth.

Rudolph Steiner proposed that the ideal farm should be self-contained with the animals providing enough manure for fertility, and the crops produced would feed them.In the garden we can recycle all of the vegetable waste and food scraps through composting to keep the soil 'alive'.

The Biodynamic Calendar sets out rythms to cultivate crops to their best effect. There are 12 constellations (Zodiac) and they influence the four elements (Earth, Water, Air, Fire) on different days - three constellations per element corresponding to the four phases of the Moon and affect different parts of a plant.

This is what we are doing here, following the dates when to plant what. This is only one aspect of Biodynamic and L feel that we have already experience its value in our garden.

At the moment I do not follow the use of preparation, I cannot find some of them in Chile, but I do use some of the plant material in my compost and I will share them with you.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Biodynamic Gardening, Continuing:

2nd. The four elements and the constellation:
1.- Flower plants: Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius.
2.- Leaf plants: Pisces, Scorpio, Cancer.
3.- Fruit plants: Aries,Leo, Saggitarius.
4.- Root plants: Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo.

FLOWER are associated with AIR signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius).
Plant now, if you want fragrance, beauty, and a long flowering time under these signs. All flower plants, flowering trees and flowering vines and shrubs, the Moon's influence is channeled into the blossom growth.

Use flower days for planting / cultivating Calabrese, Broccoli, Cauliflower (although these will do better in a Water sign). Globe Artichokes, bulbs and flowers, flowering herbs (eg Angelica, Borage, Camomile, Lavander, Wormwood.), flowering hedges, flowering trees (eg Lilac), also if you want flowering bulbs and corms ....

LEAF are associated with the water constellations (Pisces, Scorpio, Cancer).When you plant in a Water sign, the Moon's influence / energy is channeled into the leaves. This are considered to be the most productive signs, even more so than Earth signs.

Choose leaf days for salads, leaf herbs (mint,basil), Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Cornsalad or Mâche, Dill, Endive, Kale, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Rhubarb, Spinach, Swiss Chard, also cauliflower and leeks, as well as grass or non flowering hedges

Fruit Days
FRUIT are associated with the Fire constellations (Aries,Leo, Saggitarius) Warmth or fire signs are favourable for fruit plants. The Moon's influence is channeled into the fruit and seed of the plant.
Use Fruit Days for all fruits (currant cranberry, strawberries, raspberries, apples, plums)....as well as all fruiting vegetables plants whose seed fruit we harvest: Aubergines,Buckwheat, French Beans, Broad Bean, Runner Beans,Peas, Grains, Cucumbers, Squashes, Lentils, Corn, Peppers, Capsicums, Rice, Soya, Tomatoes, Courgettes, Marrow, Pumpkins. Zucchini, Strawberries and Fruit Trees.

Roots days
Roots days are associated with Earth signs (Capricorn, Taurus, Virgo), the energy of the Moon is focused into the roots of the plant. Planting now you will get strong, hardy well-anchored plants.

Root vegetables are divided into : Tap Roots, Tuberous Roots, Corms, Rhizomes, Tubers, and bulbs.
Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips.

There are few other points to consider: Breathing Cycles, the especial preparation(usually given in homeopathic doses), the use of many beneficial plants / herbs /weeds, plant diversity, plant rotation ...

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 10 - 11

Flower day
Sign Gemini
Moon New Moon

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, and Grains. Vegetables harvest will store well.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Gemini: Air sign. Sow Flower plants Calabrese,  Broccoli, Cauliflower, Globe Artichokes.Do not sowRoot plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips

Sidereal:
Moon in Gemini: Barren and dry. Gemini sign promotes flower growth.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2013 4:31 PM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Just checking...Moon in Taurus June 7 - 10th?

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Evelyn you are a Darling, Thanks so much, there is a 3 days Root days period on waxing Moon this month under Taurus.

Then we go into Gemini for 2 days the 10th and the 11th. for Flower days to continue into a Leaf days rythm .....

I have to apologize for that mistake. Hmmm naughty, naughty.......

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 12 - 13 - 14

Leaf day
Sign Cancer
Moon Waxing crescent

Synodic:
Sow leafy vegetables and annuals that produce above ground. Lettuce, Spinach, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Sprouts, Sweetcorn, Cucumber, and Grains. Vegetables harvest will not store well for long time

Biodynamic:
Moon in Cancer: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Cabbages, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Swiss Chard. Do not sow Fruit plants Aubergines, Cucumber, French Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Runner Beans,Squash,Sweetcorn,Tomatoes.

Sidereal:
Moon in Cancer: The best Sign for germination

Warrenton, VA

Totally cool, Cristina, totally cool. Thanks for the information - it is, as I said, totally cool. What a wonderful subject to read about!

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

Thanks Gracye, I am a bit late, no excuse but my mum had a relapse and time slips away... I am OK, no worries.

June 15 - 16
Fruit day
Sign Leo
Moon First quarter

Synodic: This is a good time to sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Leo: Fire sign. This is a good time to sow Fruit plants: Aubergines, Cucumber, French Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Runner Beans,Squash,Sweetcorn,Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard.

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 17 - 18

Root day
Sign Virgo
Moon First quarter

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables with internal seed bearing fruits: Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes

Biodynamic:
Moon in Virgo: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips.Do not sow Flower plants: Calabrese, Broccoli, Cauliflower.

Sidereal:
Moon in Leo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2013 3:10 PM

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Cristina ~ Moon in Leo June 15 - 18th??

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

evelyn Thanks, I just made the correction.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 19 - 20

Flower day
Sign Libra
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits. Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Libra: Air sign. Sow Flower plants: Calabrese, Broccoli, Cauliflower.
Do not sow Root plants: Asparagus, Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Parsnips.

Sidereal:
Moon in Virgo: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 21 - 22

Leaf day
Sign Scorpio
Moon Waxing gibbous

Synodic:
This is a good time to sow vegetables with seed bearing fruits: Tomatoes, beans, peas, peppers, chillis, pumpkins, courgettes.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard.
Do not sow Fruit plants: French Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin …..

Sidereal:
Moon in Scorpio: Water sign are the best signs for planting, germination and strong sturdy growth will result.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 23 - 24

Fruit day
Sign Sagittarius
Moon Full moon

Synodic:
Now is a good time to sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials. 

Biodynamic:
Moon in Sagittarius: Fire sign. Sow Fruit plants: Cucumber, French Beans, Marrow, Peas, Peppers, Pumpkin, Runner Beans,Squash,Sweetcorn,Tomatoes. Do not sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery.

Sidereal:
Moon in Sagittarius: Dry and barren, but onion sets and bulbs can be planted under Sagittarius.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

What is sidereal? I always thought it had something to do with time. Luciee {;^)

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

luciee good to "see" you around.

There are 3 gardening by the moon method and the:
Sidereal where the Lunar Sidereal Period is the time it takes the Moon to complete one orbit around the Earth with respect to the stars, Problem 1 is that Moon's Sidereal period = 27.3 days or what is called the "Sidereal Month". Problem 2 is because the time is too short (27.3 days) it does not "fall" at the time that the Moon really is.....

The Synodic method divides the Lunar cycle into four phases or quarters. This cycle takes 29.6 days to complete. It then groups plants into categories, Root Crops, Foliage, Crops with seeds on the outside, and crops with seeds on the inside. Then it assigns plants to the phases of the moon which best suits their growing characteristics.

And the Biodynamic is the one we follow in this thread.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 25 - 26

Root Day
Sign Capricorn
Moon Waning gibbous

Synodic:
Sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Capricorn: Earth sign. Sow Root plants: Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Parsnips, Potatoes, Radish, Salsify, Scorzonera, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips.
Do not sow Flower plants: Calabrese, Broccoli ...

Sidereal:
Moon in Capricorn: Plant Potatoes and tubers, they will have a strong growth.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the welcome. L

Thank you, Cristina. I knew there had to be a logical answer. Luciee {;^)

This message was edited Jun 23, 2013 7:46 PM

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 27 - 28 - 29

Flower day
Sign Aquarius
Moon Last Quarter

Synodic:
Now is a good time to sow root vegetables, berries, bulbs, onions, biennials, and perennials. 

Biodynamic:
Moon in Aquarius: Air sign. Sow Flower plants Calabrese, Cauliflower...
Do not sow Root plants: Beetroot, Carrots, Chives, Kohl Rabi, Onions, Radish, Spring Onions, Swedes, Turnips …..

Sidereal:
Moon in Aquarius: Dry and barren. Garden maintenance.

Temuco, Chile(Zone 9b)

June 30

Leaf day
Sign Pisces
Moon Last Quarter

Synodic:
Dry and barren. Garden maintenance only.

Biodynamic:
Moon in Pisces: Water sign. Sow Leaf plants: Basil, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbages, Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage,Dill, Florence Fennel, Kale, Lettuce, Spinach, Swiss Chard,
Do not sow Fruit plants: Beans, Marrow, Peas, tomatoes.....

Sidereal:
Moon in Pisces: This is the best sign for planting soft fruit. Water sign promotes root growth, it is a time of maximum water intake for plants

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.