Do I need to worry about mosquitoes getting to my chickens?

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

The mosquitoes are TERRIBLE here, in our part of Michigan. Hundreds, if not thousands are in my chicken coop with more outside. Do I need to worry about mosquitoes getting to my flock of chickens?

Richmond, TX

Probably not, but if it worries you a poultry dust such as you would use for lice would protect them.

(Zone 6b)

Sounds miserable. Guessing it is from all the rain you've been getting. I have a friend in Flint that said it rained so much everyone's basements were flooded. Big problem.

You know they have those little electric mosquito zappers. I bought one for flies. It had good reviews, so I decided to try it. It wasn't too expensive. I think $25. As far as I can tell it is working pretty well, but this isn't "fly season" yet either. I hate flies, and have this apple tree that is infested with some kind of fly that always eats into the apples. What a mess. They aren't the common house fly, but look similar and are smaller. So, this year, I found this zapper and have it on the tree. Once in awhile I hear it zapping something. Makes a pretty blue light outside too. :)

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

Whew! Thanks so much. I feel better..... :)

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I have that problem as well and I use cedarwood oil n orange oil mix..I use a sprayer like those 2 gal round up sprayer.. 1/2 cup of oil to 2 gal of water..I use the light misting nozzle and spray the inside of my henhouse which is a dirt floor hoophouse..I spray early in the morning after they all go out to free range..also all around the house n ground..skeeters hate orange n cedarwood oil mix..kinda like a repellant..lol..
I spray my dog's area as well and her too..this stuff cannot hurt the dog's coat..I gently rub the stuff on her face so I don't get any in her eyes r ears..she is a great pryenees..

(Zone 6b)

Moodene can you tell us where you get your cedarwood and orange oil?

I bought cedarwood essential oil for myself not long ago, and put it on my legs at night for circulation. It seems to help. The large bottle was rather expensive. So I would be grateful to hear where you get yours.

I probably smell like a cedar tree sometimes, but I don't mind. It smells good. I would love to have some for my chickens and donkey.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.