A day in Costa Rica: a birder's dream

Dunlap, IL

I took a recent trip to Costa Rica and was able to take a day trip Birding. I was able to photograph almost 100 species and probably seen or heard another 30. I didn't achieve this success on my own I had some serious help. First came in the form of a world class birding guide, Pat O'Donnell. you can read his blog and contact him through his blog at http://birdingcraft.com/wordpress/ Pat is one of the most impressive birders I've ever had the pleasure viewing with, not only does he know how to find them, but can also call and phish them out of the dense rainforest. In hindsight, one of the most impressive things about the day was we never stepped one foot into the woods, everything was on the side of the road or off observation decks. So, if your ever in Costa Rica, you definately need to spend a day with Pat.

Second, some of the most impressive shots came from an observation deck designed for bird photography.This was done at the nature pavillion http://www.eco-observatory.com/welcome . Dave the owner, is passionate about developing his property and local ecology to support eco-tourism. You can see more great pictures at his website. This too is a must see in Costa Rica if you have interests in Bird Phothography. Here are some of the shots I liked the most.

1. Bananaquit
2. Black and yellow silky-flycatcher
3. Black Bellied Hummingbird
4. Black billed Nightingale thrush
5. Black-cheeked woodpecker

Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796
Dunlap, IL

6. Blue-gray Tanager
7. Bronze-tailed plumeleteer
8. Buff-throated Saltator
9. Collared Aracari
10. Collared Redstart

Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796
Dunlap, IL

11. Common Pauraque
12. Coopery-headed Emerald
13 Emerald Toucanet
14 Gray-capped flycatcher
15 Large footed finch

Dunlap, IL

16. Mountain Elaenia
17 Passerini's tanager male
18. Passerini's tanager female
19 Prong-billed barbet
20. Red-legged Honeycreeper male

Dunlap, IL

21. Red-legged Honeycreeper female
22. Red-throated Ant Tanager
23. Resplendent Quetzal female
24 Rufous Tailed Hummingbird
25. Short tailed Hawk

Dunlap, IL

26. Silver throated tanager
27 Soot-capped bush tanager
28. Swallow tailed Kite
29. White-collared Manakin Female
30 White necked Jacobin

Dunlap, IL

31 White necked Jacobin female
32 Yellowish Flycatcher
33. Yellow Thighed Finch

Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796 Thumbnail by chris8796
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

oooo, super jealous. Thanks for sharing.

PERTH, Australia

Sounds like a wonderful experience, Chris. Marvellous birds.

Cordaville, MA

Great pictures, thanks

Abilene, TX(Zone 7b)

What great pictures! I know you must have had a blast! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.