Growing fresh veggies?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 100 votes:

I have a traditional garden with everything in rows and enough room to till in between.
(20 votes, 20%)
Red dot

I have raised beds & permanent paths.
(22 votes, 22%)
Red dot

I use the square-foot (or other intensive-planting) method.
(7 votes, 7%)
Red dot

My vegetable garden is in containers.
(21 votes, 21%)
Red dot

I don't grow fresh vegetables.
(8 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Other (tell us!)
(22 votes, 22%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Most things are planted on green plastic mulch. Earlier & keeps weeds down.
Lots covered with tunnels. Warmer & keeps spring wind at bay.
Onions, radish, beets, & carrots are planted in twin rows. Drip tape stays put when laid between the rows.
Strawberries & lettuce are grown in raised beds, 32" off the ground. No bending.
Tomatoes & Cucumbers are in high tunnels. No disease there because no soil splashed on plants like rain does. Everything in high tunnels are clipped to strings hanging from the ceiling.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

No neat rows in the Quingdom...no neat anything in the Quingdom. Veggies get put in wherever the water will reach them.

Lake Helen, FL

When you direct seed into the ground in Florida, you are making salad for bugs. Celery here must be grown for cutting celery, and you can't buy the seed locally. I had to order it from Shumway, and I keep it in a bucket of rich earth near my front hose standpipe, where it always has enough moisture and shade. I start many plants in cups or flats, then move them into gang pots or big jardinieres in mixed plantings. Here is Missouri, making his way past my sunflowers, sweet potatoes, and beans:

Thumbnail by Reynardine
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm mixing veggies in with my flower beds, and some in containers. Cukes planted with sunflowers, pumpkin in an open corner, zucchini and patty pan in containers on the back deck, spuds and pole beans with snapdragons in a planter box, peas on the side of the well house, tomatoes and marigolds next to a stone south-facing wall. Just enough for personal use, if I feel like canning I'll hit up one of my local farmers.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Just the very few basics here... maters in one of the front flower beds where they get lots of sunshine, and herbs in containers out on the back deck.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Mostly containers, large and small, and a few in the ground.

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

We moved from 3 acres to 3/4 an acre, so I had to downsize. But I didn't want to downsize my yield too much (there's only 2 of us) so I found a book on square foot gardening. This is my second summer season with it, and so far, so good. I had way more eggplant and okra than I could eat last year, and beautiful tomatoes until almost December. My cool season garden fell prey to a ruthless rabbit, and I had to replant a good bit of it after Mr. Rabbit kept chewing through my plastic fencing. I finally put up a 2 foot round of black hardware cloth, and that kept him at bay. But, I am already harvesting some cherry tomatoes and green peppers this year, and cucumbers won't be far behind.

Thumbnail by happytail Thumbnail by happytail
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I have a garden bed but only part of it is planted for this year. 4 tomatoes and 4 bell peppers if I remember right and a lemon cucumber. I have a strawberry plant behind all those and off to the unplanted side I have blueberries in pots. It's small but it'll do since my grandma has two gardens going that are at least half an acre.

Tiskilwa, IL

My garden has paths between the rows but I don't till them, I undersow them. I sow them with clover about six weeks after sowing the crop, and I mow it to eliminate weeds that grow among the clover. The clover stays over the winter as a cover crop.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Veggies are distributed throughout my flower beds. Most are planted at random wherever there is a spot open. Even corn, peas, and bean at the back of one of my beds, cucumbers growing under the roses as ground cover, tomatoes in with the flowers, lettuce under the tomatoes.

(Zone 7a)

This year I have one tomato plant given to us by one of DHs buddies at work. 'Old German', such a lovely fruit and great in/on everything.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a few square foot gardens, but have recently started using Tower Gardens. Being a busy mom of four I don't have a lot of spare time to garden. So, my Towers fit the bill. No weeding or watering for me. I have lots of fresh produce right outside my front door now! :) I'm on my mobile so I don't have access to my photos, but you can check out my DG blog to see my Towers and most of what I've harvested.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice garden area, happytail. Beautiful gate! I've done Square Foot gardening and really enjoy it. I'm working on a new modified Square Foot bed in the back yard. I'm way behind on that project due to unforeseen circumstances. The tower gardens are interesting as well, tarziesgirl.

I've got a new raised planter just outside the side door. Right now it has an heirloom yellow pear tomato, hot banana pepper, boxwood basil, sweet basil and a marigold as a companion. Sorry about the lousy rainy day shot.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Previously had just grown some in containers on the deck. Started some raised beds this year, got some peas and lettuce planted. Have tomatoes and peppers that I have to get in the ground...definitely a work in progress

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Mine is more of a potager, with rows of crops and paths between them but no tilling, and flowers interspersed throughout. It's also a mixture of vegetables and berries. I grow my tomatoes on tripods and plant flowers between those and at the ends of the rows along the brick pathway. I garden with an eye to appearance as well as production. And I also garden organically, which is one of my primary incentives for growing my own!

This message was edited May 28, 2013 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal Thumbnail by greenhouse_gal
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Raised beds with intensive planting; sort of a combination of raised beds and square foot gardening.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

We have a critical drought situation in New Mexico for the third
year. Most of my flower gardens did not survive the latest rainless
winter and I will not replace anything there until we get some steady rains.

I did plant four tomato plants in 12-gallon containers and two pots
of portulaca for color on the patio table. In the flower gardens I confess
that the lovely spots of color around the edges are artificial flowers and
greenery I picked up at the Dollar Store! ;-)

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 2 main gardens and other things in containers and root pouches. No organization sometimes I'm not even sure of the variety until it sets fruit.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Raised beds for vegetables ,, everything else , well ... it is anybody's guess !!!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

concrete raised beds, work so well last year, easy to care for and when I am to old to bend down I can still garden. Course DH said setting all those blocks will make us to old to garden. Doing at least two more this year.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I have mostly wide raised beds without borders with paths in between. most of the beds are 35 to 45 feet long. I also have some area that is traditionally rowed. ...about 8,000 sq. ft. altogether.

This message was edited May 29, 2013 5:40 PM

Greensboro, AL

Containers and beds. Hopefully one day it will be a formal kitchen garden including a fountain and blueberry hedges.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Plain ole garden, rows wide enough to till between. Flowers, corn, running beans, okra, purple hull peas, tomatoes, cukes, Armenian cukes, squash, blackberries, asparagus. That's all this year. Wish me luck!!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pretty much the traditional garden, I guess, though I have never tilled anything.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

I see everyone else eating without gardening so I thought I would try it this year. We will see what next year brings. Luciee {;^)

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Mine are all in large round container pots.(50 pots) beans,tomatoes,peppers,onions,cukes,plus daylillys,iris,petunias,zinnias,coleus,pansies,mums,tiger lillys,regal lillys,asiatic lillys. I also have a yard table with a well for a small campfire. I am a happy camper LOL
Vickie

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Mostly vertical. Square foot /lasagna hybrid.

Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain Thumbnail by greenbrain
Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

A few shots of my fruits and veggies. Chinese yard-long beans, tomato cage w/5 varieties, NOID tomato, ruby red seedless grapes, red habaneros.

Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon Thumbnail by frogymon
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

I did 'strawbale gardening' for 2 years. That had been an alternative to fighting gumbo soil.
Great idea Happgarden has. Think I'll try concretes. At least I don't have to 'season' strawbales when I need to grow veges, and the choice is limited too.

Lake Helen, FL

Very happy with these:

Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine Thumbnail by Reynardine
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have containers and I garden intensely in raised beds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.