Have you seen this for sale anywhere?

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi, gang!
Dust off your gardening catalogs and your memories. I just saw this planter down in a garden at the Smithsonian last weekend. Several people I know have remarked on my picture and would like to know where it came from. I just sent an e-mail to the gardens dept at the SI asking about it but I thought I would put it out there to all the Dave's Gardeners as well.
I believe it to be cast stone, though medieval in appearance, I think it's a modern piece. It had a tag, small but illegible on the far side away from the camera. I don't think the SI would put a real medieval piece out there but who knows. They probably have plenty of that stuff hanging around in warehouses all about DC. It is a museum, after all.
The garden it's in was designed and gifted to the SI by Enid Haupt. She's the lady that rescued the conservatory at the NYBG. This is all I know for now.
Please let me know if and where you have seen another like it. Yes, those are the 12 apostles.
Thanks,
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Tyler, TX(Zone 8b)

I really like it, would love one just like it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It looks like an Apostles garden urn. I've seen them in the UK but don't know a source here. Sorry that wasn't much help. I hope someone else will know of a source here. I'm sure it's heavy.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Looks like something bound for an antique shop or a home demolition company, which we have close by. It is called the junkyard with a personality. If it cools down a bit, I will take a ride over there.
Marcia

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

The smithsonian, whose urn this is, replied that it is not an antique, just that they purchased it from a company in Pennsylvania a long time ago. The company has not responded to my inquiry as to whether or not they still have them, so I am guessing they don't.
Martha

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

Martha

sorry to hear the SI didn't have better news for you as that container is incredible, I was hoping you would find it somewhere to purchase as I would be interested as well.

Jan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.